Addicted To Cake Delivery

Decorating By melmar02 Updated 15 Nov 2009 , 3:26pm by emlashlee

melmar02 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melmar02 Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 2:42pm
post #1 of 25

I brought a cake to work today for a co-worker who is having a tailgate party this weekend. It was really nothing special - not tiered, not huge, not gourmet flavors, not difficult decorations. Just an 8" round covered in BC with FBCT stars. She was extremely pleased with it though, and that makes me happy. I know I'll be on Cloud 9 all day - I delivered a baby shower cake last weekend and the lady was so excited that you couldn't take the smile off my face for 3 days.

I enjoy decorating - it's a creative outlet, it's me time (I'm just a hobbiest), the scraps are yummy. icon_wink.gif But I am seriously getting addicted to seeing the reactions of the people I make cakes for. Am I just a people pleaser who is being enabled by my new found passion? Maybe. All I know is I hope this 'high' doesn't get reduced with every cake I make and that I'm ready to make (and deliver) another cake. icon_biggrin.gif

Have a great day!
Melisa

24 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 4:01pm
post #2 of 25

Then when you do a wedding cake, you should convince them to let you cut it. If you like reactions when you hand them a cake, then you'll LOVE hearing the comments as people come up to get a piece of wedding cake!

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 4:21pm
post #3 of 25

Oooooo, you and me both girl. I am on the biggest high after delivering a cake. Especially little tiered numbers to restaurants...walking through the people to the table...oh, nothing beats that feeling, everyone looking at what you have...yee haw!! When I know they are going to be taking the cake to dinner with them, I insist on delivering for free (nothing further than 10 minutes from the studio where I am anyways) JUST to ride that high! icon_biggrin.gif

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 4:24pm
post #4 of 25

I get a high just from the delivery alone--I don't even need the reactions. And there is nothing more fun than hitting the highwaya and byways on Saturdays delivering sweet piles of cake hither and yon--love that!

egensinnig Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
egensinnig Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 7:27pm
post #5 of 25

Making cakes made me realize that I'm a real people pleaser or at least I crave attention for my cakes icon_smile.gif . And Cakecentral made it even worse...
I make a cake and I'm really pleased with it and if I don't get any attention or comments on CC it sort of fades...I'm a sad, sad cakemaker....
But hey - I had fun making it and the receivers really liked it!
Hopefully over time I'll be satisfied with my own judgement instead of others

Jan14grands Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jan14grands Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 7:43pm
post #6 of 25

I love getting a cake delivered too and the nice reactions. It is a high, but delivering them makes me a wreck!

Kz1112 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kz1112 Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 8:27pm
post #7 of 25

wow thought I was the only one addicted to other's reactions. It is such a great feeling.

melmar02 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melmar02 Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 8:42pm
post #8 of 25

egensinnig - Your cakes are amazing! I hope one day I can do some of the things in your photos! I'd be happy to Ohhh and Ahhh... I mean judge... your cakes anyday!

Rosie2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosie2 Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 8:43pm
post #9 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by melmar02

I enjoy decorating - it's a creative outlet, it's me time (I'm just a hobbiest), the scraps are yummy. icon_wink.gif But I am seriously getting addicted to seeing the reactions of the people I make cakes for. Am I just a people pleaser who is being enabled by my new found passion? Maybe. All I know is I hope this 'high' doesn't get reduced with every cake I make and that I'm ready to make (and deliver) another cake. icon_biggrin.gif

Have a great day!
Melisa

Ditto to all!!!! I'm glad to see I'm not alone thumbs_up.gif
'Caking' is my hobby and love it when people like the cake, the flavor, the filling, the decorations etc icon_smile.gif
Rosie

sweetcravings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcravings Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 9:20pm
post #10 of 25

Love the reactions...HATE getting there. There had better be a GREAT reaction when i get there because by that point i am so stressed from driving my precious cargo in the van I need something to releive the tension. If i didn't have the reaction from people i wouldn't keep putting myself through the stress of the drive there. My DH hates driving with me as i'm squaking the whole way..."slow down" and " watch that bump" and "OMG" and "is the cake OK??" ........

-K8memphis Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 9:54pm
post #11 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetcravings

...My DH hates driving with me as i'm squaking the whole way..."slow down" and " watch that bump" and "OMG" and "is the cake OK??" ........

Y'know what healed me of that trauma/drama?? One day I took the drivers seat/steering wheel and I never looked back. We probably needed to go different directions after the delivery that day.

It's all about control for me. I mean he can ride along if he wants and he most often does but I drive.

Case closed~~
So I bowed my head, put my hand on the radio and shouted~~~ I've been healed.
icon_biggrin.gif

(like a radio evangelist thing--work with me here) icon_lol.gif

jensenscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jensenscakes Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 10:24pm
post #12 of 25

Am I the only one who wants to throw up while delivering a cake? I am so nervous waiting for the reaction and what if they don't like it? Plus I can see all of my flaws and I just hope that no one else notices them. I love to make cakes, I hate to be in the spotlight.

jmr531 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jmr531 Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 10:28pm
post #13 of 25

I'm a nervous wreck when I am presenting a cake to anyone...and I only make cakes for family and friends. I love getting all the compliments! I've never gotten any bad feedback, but there have been a couple times when I received no feedback...now that's torture. I couldn't tell if they loved it or hated it (arrgh) and I would rather not directly ask since I don't want to seem like I am fishing for compliments.

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 10:30pm
post #14 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by jensenscakes

Am I the only one who wants to throw up while delivering a cake? I am so nervous waiting for the reaction and what if they don't like it? Plus I can see all of my flaws and I just hope that no one else notices them. I love to make cakes, I hate to be in the spotlight.

No. And if I were you, and had that insanely gorgeous stacked square monster cake under my belt...I'd be holding my head up high and saying "here is your cake, now shower me with kisses because I am made of awesome!" icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

I can't believe that cake of yours only has 12 faves. That's a beauty!

Jan14grands Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jan14grands Posted 14 Nov 2009 , 12:49am
post #15 of 25

I, too, am sick delivering a cake, and that is just ridiculous, isn't it? But so much could go wrong and it is so nervewracking,. I'm the same way when DH drives and he is so good about my words of caution. I need to start driving I guess. I usually hold the cake when he drives if it's no more than 2 tiers, and I think it may be worse doing that. I should just put it on a non-skid pad on the back floor of the car. What does everyone else do?

Elise87 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elise87 Posted 14 Nov 2009 , 1:11am
post #16 of 25

yeh i love people reactions, I don't exactly has a business and diliver stuff but i recently took a cake over for my little cousin's b'day and i loved her and my aunties reaction when i showed it to them. However i am also one of those people that sometimes get embarassed when people give me compliments on my cakes in person.....dunno why

-K8memphis Posted 14 Nov 2009 , 1:57am
post #17 of 25

I keep going into the "edit" and it keeps making a whole new post instead--sorry!

-K8memphis Posted 14 Nov 2009 , 2:01am
post #18 of 25

oops double post

bstajcic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bstajcic Posted 14 Nov 2009 , 2:30am
post #19 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan14grands

I, too, am sick delivering a cake, and that is just ridiculous, isn't it? But so much could go wrong and it is so nervewracking,. I'm the same way when DH drives and he is so good about my words of caution. I need to start driving I guess. I usually hold the cake when he drives if it's no more than 2 tiers, and I think it may be worse doing that. I should just put it on a non-skid pad on the back floor of the car. What does everyone else do?

I too would like to know what everyone else does. I cant cope with the thought of damaging the cake before it gets to its destination!!!

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 14 Nov 2009 , 2:36am
post #20 of 25

I must be the odd one out...I don't like the attention I get delivering a cake. I don't have a business and don't want to start one at this point (which translates to not having $$$ to start one icon_razz.gif). So I don't want lots of people asking for my card or if they can order a cake. And I always bake for people I know, but not always people I know well enough to be invited to their family events. They usually feel like they have to invite my family, if I'm delivering a cake, and then I have to figure out an excuse or go to a party where we don't know anyone except the friend who I made the cake for.

But yeah, if I had a business...I would totally enjoy the attention. Not to mention deliver in a t-shirt with my business name and number printed about six inches tall on the back icon_biggrin.gif

tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 14 Nov 2009 , 3:59am
post #21 of 25

Oh yeah, I LOVE the reactions! I felt good all day.

Last night, I finished a cake for a basketball player. It had a basketball made from rkt with a fondant jersey. I thought it looked pretty good but not 'exactly' like I wanted. I had it in a box on the counter at the caterers I work at but the box wouldn't close all of the way because of the height of the basketball.

When I went to pick it up to deliver, the girl at the caterers just raved on about and talked about how talented I was. I was pleased and again, embarrassed. icon_redface.gif If they only knew the talent on this site. icon_biggrin.gif

Then I delivered it to the customer and she was thrilled. She said it was more that she could have imagined. That kind of reaction makes me love making cakes for people. icon_biggrin.gifthumbs_up.gif

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 14 Nov 2009 , 4:35am
post #22 of 25

Oh man, if you're a delivery addict, you've got to go through drive through some day with a cake next to you!! I didn't do it on purpose, didn't even think about it, but needed a snack during a delivery one day and the gal at the window saw it and started tripping. She called over just about every single person working there to show them!! I was in heaven, but blushing like a virgin bride!! icon_lol.gif It just made me feel so great to be appreciated like that. Really, having your cake peers who are very talented compliment you is an incredible rush simply because they KNOW good cake, but sometimes when a cake civilian looks at you like you must be made of pure magic to have created something like that... that's gold baby! Sometimes I feel guilty when I do a cake that is technically super simple, but the customer acts like you've just carved them a life sized statue of themselves in marble, ya know? Like you ARE Michelangelo!!

I've had a few situations where I felt the customer seemed underwhelmed at the time of delivery and that is really a disappointment. I mean, I don't expect people to bow down and trumpets to blow when I bring them a cake, but sometimes when you are particularly happy with something you've done and you don't get that feedback, you feel kind of let down. I have to say though, sometimes they just have a lot on their mind or something, because I always hear later how that customer was raving to everyone about the cake after I left! thumbs_up.gif It really is like a drug, isn't it??

-K8memphis Posted 14 Nov 2009 , 5:21am
post #23 of 25

I got to take Bronwen's 24 inch tall clown class two hours away -- he sat in the back seat on the way home--I stopped at Mcdonalds on the ride home--the reaction was pretty funny --I don't think they probably even thought it was cake I don't know but it was cool.

egensinnig Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
egensinnig Posted 14 Nov 2009 , 10:34am
post #24 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by melmar02

egensinnig - Your cakes are amazing! I hope one day I can do some of the things in your photos! I'd be happy to Ohhh and Ahhh... I mean judge... your cakes anyday!

Thanks! Now I feel all better again icon_biggrin.gif

Yesterday I delivered a cake - a 50 min drive and when we were getting close my 2,5 year daughter threw up all over her self and the car....I cleaned her up as good as I could and then had to walk in and deliver a cake smelling like vomit.......My worst delivery so far. I also had to arrange the cake on table before we could go.....Luckily it was a donation to charity and wrapped up in cellophane.....but still....

emlashlee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emlashlee Posted 15 Nov 2009 , 3:26pm
post #25 of 25

I'll go with the fun and scary in equal parts. I am ecstatic when a customer loves what you deliver. Scary because I still feel like puking until the customer sees it and breaks out into a grin. Like my last cake - I did a reveal cake for a pregnant woman and a friend of hers did the pick-up. Later that evening, the client called me back and I could tell she had been crying. My stomach hit the floor! Turns out that she was just emotional and had called to tell me how much she loved it. Whew!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%