Shiny Glaze Look

Decorating By snomacntyntv Updated 12 Nov 2009 , 3:45pm by supermama322

snomacntyntv Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snomacntyntv Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 5:19am
post #1 of 4

How does one make a glaze that will make fondant look shiny such as with a shiny bowling ball?

3 replies
ramacake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ramacake Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 10:40am
post #2 of 4

If you have an airbrush, lightly mist it with clear water. Or you can take a slightly damp cloth and rub it lightly. Either way, let it dry and then repeat.
The shine will get better the more you do it.
I like misting it better, it seems to be more even. Yopu can also use a hand held steamer for just a few seconds.

cakesrock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesrock Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 3:24pm
post #3 of 4

You could add corn syrup to your 'paint' mixture. I have also heard piping gel, but haven't tried it and it won't dry, of course.

supermama322 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
supermama322 Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 3:45pm
post #4 of 4

I do this quite often! I just made a purse cake (my first!) and I needed it to resemble that soft leather.

To get this shine, I water down some piping gel with clear vanilla or almond, you can use plain water too but I prefer to use the almond. I brush the thinned down gel all over and you get instant shine. Let it dry a couple hours (i usually let it dry overnight) and it dries perfectly! The fondant will still be soft and everything, just really shiny and not tacky or anything. I think it would work great for a bowling ball. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%