Getting A 4" Tier

Decorating By SimplyIced Updated 17 Nov 2009 , 11:32pm by confectionsofahousewife

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 2:51pm
post #31 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

dont' be shy about greasing that pan. I see that with lots of folks who are in my kitchen helping me ...... they're afraid to grease up that pan.

That is exactly what I say to my munchkins while making brownies. We like the chewy edges!!!!

I collar my 2 inch Wilton round pans and grease and I only flour the bottom. My cakes rise up nice and tall every time. I do have a slight hump but wind up shaving off a bit more then just the hump to get 2" layers. But nobody around here gripes about wasted cake. They fight over those scraps as they won't get a piece of cake until it's decorated the next day or even the day after that. I should make the poor dears cake more often.

SimplyIced Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SimplyIced Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 4:16pm
post #32 of 42

Frustrated. I thought the cakes looked like they were going to be at least 2 inches tall. WELL, much to my dismay, I leveled this morning and NOPE, not 2" tall. UUUUGGGGHHHH icon_mad.gif I greased with crisco, used the baking strips, baked at 325, filled to what I thought was at LEAST 2/3 full. Is it the Wilton pans I'm using? Is it because I use a box mix? I'm either going to have to bake 3 cake layers from here on out or just settle for 3 3/4" cakes. I was really hoping to have this solved last night icon_sad.gif Thanks.

sadsmile Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 4:26pm
post #33 of 42

You have to aim for about 1/2"- 1" over the height you want. Cakes settles with gravity during the cooling process. I aim for 3 inch cake layers when I bake and wind up shaving of an almost 1/2 hump to get my 2" layers.

Edited for incomplete thought...DOH!

sadsmile Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 4:37pm
post #34 of 42

Simplified science...
Air expands when heated. You bake at 325°-350°. The cake bakes up and the air in the batter expands making little pockets. When the cake cools(your home is probably between 65°-85° which is much cooler then the oven) the air also cools and then shrinks... the cake's pockets shrink-the cake shrinks. Your fridge is even colder so a cooled cake will be more dense because the air pockets have shrunk to the 40°-50° in your fridge. So bake bigger than you need to get the size you want. Some recipes really react to this while others don't as much. So we are all like mad scientists in the kitchen. icon_wink.gif

Lets get experimenting...
Take a regular sized child's cheep $2 bouncy ball. Set it in the sun on hot grounds for an hour. Measure around the seam with a measuring tape. take ball inside(washing it of course) and throw it in the fridge for half an hour. Take it out and measure the seam again... it's smaller now. thumbs_up.gif

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 5:00pm
post #35 of 42
Quote:

HEre's a photo of the cake rising higher than the pan:

Also ..... 1" of filling? icon_eek.gif Guys, measure out 1" .... that's a LOT of filling! As the song says, "slip slidin' awa-a-a-a-a-ay". icon_lol.gif

icon_eek.gificon_surprised.gificon_eek.gif ... I agree!...sliping cakes!.... icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif too much filling!
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 5:00pm
post #36 of 42
Quote:

HEre's a photo of the cake rising higher than the pan:

Also ..... 1" of filling? icon_eek.gif Guys, measure out 1" .... that's a LOT of filling! As the song says, "slip slidin' awa-a-a-a-a-ay". icon_lol.gif

icon_eek.gificon_surprised.gificon_eek.gif ... I agree!...sliping cakes!.... icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif too much filling!
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 5:27pm
post #37 of 42

A soft filling/icing like this...1" could be a problem...heck! even a 1/4" could pose a problem!

http://www.easy-cake-ideas.com/image-files/buttercream-filling.jpg

But a filling, firm one, like this...1" can be achieved without a problem...without slippage...

http://www.calandrasbakery.com/images/cakeslices/cakeslice2.jpg

It depends on the filling and the cake...

SimplyIced Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SimplyIced Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 5:28pm
post #38 of 42

Sadsmile- I get the scientific part of it...I'm a scientist in my real life icon_smile.gif I just need to know how to do the BAKING part of it to get the bigger layers! Maybe I need to try the parchment method on the sides?

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 5:40pm
post #39 of 42

Yes part of the problem is likely to be your Wilton pans. Measure them, and you may find out that they're 1 3/4 inch deep. Regular pans and the Wilton preferred are different. Reg W pans are shallow.

Mug-a-Bug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mug-a-Bug Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 9:20pm
post #40 of 42

I think you just need to put more batter in your pan. Fill that baby up!!

FullHouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FullHouse Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 10:25pm
post #41 of 42

I have always used the homemade cake release (oil, crisco, flour) and line with parchment. I decided to give it a try today with just greasing up the pan really well with shortening -I LOVE the idea of getting higher, flater cakes and not having to cut parchment everytime I bake. The center of the bottom stuck to the pan on both pans. What did I do wrong? I can't really tell b/c I used a new recipe as well (Hummingbird cake). Does this method not work well for cakes with fruit in them?

confectionsofahousewife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
confectionsofahousewife Posted 17 Nov 2009 , 11:32pm
post #42 of 42
Quote:

It's a 2" pan. I grease NO FLOUR. cakes rise higher with no flour. I fill it at least 1/2 full or more. With the grease-no-flour, the batter is able to glide right up the sides of the pan. Flour, I have found in my 30 years of doing it this way, grabs onto the batter and holds it in place, preventing it from gliding up the side of the pan to a beautiful height. Baking strips and bake at 325, no matter what the size of hte cake pan.

I am so glad you posted this. I found this thread right as I was getting ready to bake! I have always been a butter, flour, parchment baker because when I have just greased my cake ALWAYS sticks on the bottom in the center. So I took your suggestion and just greased (liberally, of course) with crisco and lined with parchment (just in case) but no flour. Not only did my cakes rise way more than usual (I got a 2.5 inch cake out of a not quite 2 inch pan) but they still came out of the pan with ease. Thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%