Mermaid Scales How Do You Make Them?

Decorating By proudmommaof3 Updated 11 Nov 2009 , 7:33pm by JustToEatCake

proudmommaof3 Posted 11 Nov 2009 , 3:04pm
post #1 of 11

So many questions for a Newbie!

How do people make the scales on mermaid tails? Any advise?

Thanks so much! Karen

10 replies
cakebaker1957 Posted 11 Nov 2009 , 3:12pm
post #2 of 11

Im thinking out of fondant just cut them out and layer them.Just my thoughts

cakebaker1957 Posted 11 Nov 2009 , 3:12pm
post #3 of 11

Im thinking out of fondant just cut them out and layer them.Just my thoughts

G_Cakes Posted 11 Nov 2009 , 3:16pm
post #4 of 11

Depending on the scale of the mermaid I would use a piping tip to cut out round circles of fondant and then just layer them onto the figure.

HTH

vagostino Posted 11 Nov 2009 , 3:19pm
post #5 of 11

I have a mermaid cake coming and i was thinking on either cutting tiny circles and overlaping them in a mermaid tail shaped piece of fondant OR shape the tail and use something to imprint the scale look.
I haven"t done it yet, so I can;t tell if it'll work

proudmommaof3 Posted 11 Nov 2009 , 5:25pm
post #6 of 11

This looks like an imprint...but any ideas what she may have used? It doesn't look like overlayed fondant.

I'm going to try to add a photo...
LL

Callyssa Posted 11 Nov 2009 , 5:36pm
post #7 of 11

I have a cake in my galleries with a mermaid on top; is this what you're thinking about? She was done in bc. To do the scales, I used a rose tip (104, I think), and started at the bottom of her tail. I just did a 'U' shape over and over for each line of scales. Remember to make your line of scales move with the direction of her tail. HTH!

novice Posted 11 Nov 2009 , 6:31pm
post #8 of 11

Just saw this on Ace of Cakes the other night. She used a netting, like the bag you get buy onions in and pressed this into the fondant to make fish scales. She was airbrushing, so didn't to layer them on. I thought this was a great idea.

proudmommaof3 Posted 11 Nov 2009 , 6:46pm
post #9 of 11

Thank you, thank you, thank you for the ideas!

MissyTex Posted 11 Nov 2009 , 6:53pm
post #10 of 11

I made scales on this BC fish cake using the large round end of an icing tip. I just pushed it into the crusted BC and lifted it slightly. I suppose you could do something similiar with a round tip, like a 4 or a 7, for smaller scales. It would work the same on fondant.
LL

JustToEatCake Posted 11 Nov 2009 , 7:33pm
post #11 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissyTex

I made scales on this BC fish cake using the large round end of an icing tip. I just pushed it into the crusted BC and lifted it slightly. I suppose you could do something similiar with a round tip, like a 4 or a 7, for smaller scales. It would work the same on fondant.

I just have to say that cake is so cute and the look on the fishe's face is sooo fitting!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%