Glossy Look

Decorating By sugarlover Updated 12 Nov 2009 , 12:36am by MommaPoopadoo

sugarlover Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarlover Posted 11 Nov 2009 , 1:35am
post #1 of 8

What can I use on a cake that gives it a glossy look. Can confectioner's glaze be used on a edible cake?

7 replies
Price Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Price Posted 11 Nov 2009 , 1:50am
post #2 of 8

There is an edible spray laquer. I've seen it, but have never used it. You can steam the fondant to give it shine. I use confectioners glaze on fondant figures to give shoes, eyes, etc. shine., but wouldn't use it on a whole cake.

sugarlover Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarlover Posted 11 Nov 2009 , 1:54am
post #3 of 8

Where can I order the edible lacquer?

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 11 Nov 2009 , 1:57am
post #4 of 8

I've read that the edible lacquer is just confectioner's glaze in a spray bottle.

You can paint fondant with gel color thinned with vodka to make it shiny. It's a little tricky to do without leaving streaks, but it is possible.

Price Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Price Posted 11 Nov 2009 , 2:17am
post #5 of 8
Quote:
Quote:

I've read that the edible lacquer is just confectioner's glaze in a spray bottle.

That's what I always thought too, but I took a class last month. They had a can of the spray edible laquer and I asked if it was the same as confectioners glaze, and was told no. I didn't get any details though as to what the difference is.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 11 Nov 2009 , 3:14am
post #6 of 8

I've been looking for more info...I read one place that the lacquer is made from tree sap, and the confectioner's glaze is the secretion of the lac beetle (which I already knew, I read a lot about it before I bought it). So that's interesting...a shiny but very expensive alternative to bug juice icon_biggrin.gif

If you decide to buy the spray lacquer, Albert Ulster seems to have the best price.

prettyplate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prettyplate Posted 11 Nov 2009 , 10:37am
post #7 of 8

Price mentioned steaming the fondant. I have a steamer, but I was uncertain if I just steam the fondant or if I needed to apply something to the fondant before steaming. I would like to try steaming my cakes because I like the glossy look.

MommaPoopadoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MommaPoopadoo Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 12:36am
post #8 of 8

I've steamed fondant but it's only stayed shiny for a little while. Once the fondant dried, it lost its sheen.

I almost bought from Albert Uster a few minutes ago, but when I saw they only offered 2-day or overnight shipping I cancelled out. $25 to ship a $23 item? I don't think so!

I'm still looking... chefrubber seems to have a decent price, but need to do some more comparison shopping.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%