What Fondant Do You Use? Why? So Many To Choose From....

Decorating By Spoiled1 Updated 11 Nov 2009 , 4:27pm by pattycakesnj

Spoiled1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Spoiled1 Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 11:47pm
post #1 of 13

Hello,

I would love to know what fondants you all use and why you choose the one you do. I am looking to purchase some and I had no idea there are so many to choose from. The ones I have found are Satin Ice, Fondarific, Fondx, Wilton and Choco-Pan (some I am probably missing). Then there are all the self-maid ones.

Thank you all for your opinions and all the great info and sharing this site offers. It is an amazing site!!

Happy Baking!!
Julie icon_biggrin.gif

12 replies
Jenn2179 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenn2179 Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 11:57pm
post #2 of 13

I don't make my own. To much time, effort, and cleaning. I usually use Fondx for anything white or ivory. Like the feel of it and the price. I use Satin Ice for color. I have a bucket of choco-pan but haven't really used it yet. However, I just tried Massa Grischuna (http://www.auiswisscatalogue.com/505023/1_ENROBING.html) and hands down it is the BEST fondant I have ever used. I refuse to use Wilton because it tastes and smells like a$$.

tracey1970 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracey1970 Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 11:59pm
post #3 of 13

Satin Ice

__Martha__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Martha__ Posted 11 Nov 2009 , 12:01am
post #4 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenn2179

I don't make my own. To much time, effort, and cleaning. I usually use Fondx for anything white or ivory. Like the feel of it and the price. I use for color. I have a bucket of choco-pan but haven't really used it yet. However, I just tried Massa Grischuna (http://www.auiswisscatalogue.com/505023/1_ENROBING.html) and hands down it is the BEST fondant I have ever used. I refuse to use Wilton because it tastes and smells like a$$.

Jenn - re: the Massa - is it just that it tastes good, or is it easy to work with? It's pricey isn't it?

__Martha__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Martha__ Posted 11 Nov 2009 , 12:02am
post #5 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenn2179

I don't make my own. To much time, effort, and cleaning. I usually use Fondx for anything white or ivory. Like the feel of it and the price. I use for color. I have a bucket of choco-pan but haven't really used it yet. However, I just tried Massa Grischuna (http://www.auiswisscatalogue.com/505023/1_ENROBING.html) and hands down it is the BEST fondant I have ever used. I refuse to use Wilton because it tastes and smells like a$$.

Jenn - re: the Massa - is it just that it tastes good, or is it easy to work with? It's pricey isn't it?

Jenn2179 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenn2179 Posted 11 Nov 2009 , 12:15am
post #6 of 13

The Massa is $4.04 lb, on globalsugarart.com the Fondx is 2.99 a lb, the Satin Ice (20 lb bucket) is on sale for 2.30 lb but is normally 3.50 lb. So it's NOT that mush more expensive if you are paying retail prices. I pay wholesale prices though so it's a bit cheaper for the Fondx and Satin Ice. The Massa not only tastes good it is a DREAM to work with.

Sweet_Guys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweet_Guys Posted 11 Nov 2009 , 11:35am
post #7 of 13

We use Fondarific because of the flavors and how easy it is to work with in our high humidity weather. The base flavors of vanilla and buttercream are usually white; however, they also have standard major colors where these flavors are pre-colored for you (ie: red, black). They also have fruit flavors and a few others that you can purchase in 2lb. containers that would be great for accents, covering cookies, or for melting down and dipping cupcakes into. The price is higher than some of the others but comparable to Massa.

Paul

Caths_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Caths_Cakes Posted 11 Nov 2009 , 12:19pm
post #8 of 13

suppose it depends where you ar e really. i use renshaw regalice (from britian) Its fabbbbbbb! but im not sure they are that many other brands out here

Lovemesomecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lovemesomecake Posted 11 Nov 2009 , 12:35pm
post #9 of 13

I always make my own MMF. It may be a little difficult to work with sometimes, but to me, you can't beat the taste!!!! (or PRICE!!)

cakesbywendy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbywendy Posted 11 Nov 2009 , 12:39pm
post #10 of 13

I make my own MMF unless I need the color red or black, then I buy SatinIce. Red and Black just takes to much coloring.

SatinIce is easy to work with and tastes good. That is just my opinion, others might not agree. I certainly would never use Wilton that stuff is just gross easy to work with but tastes gross!

Spoiled1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Spoiled1 Posted 11 Nov 2009 , 4:15pm
post #11 of 13

Thank you for all of your opinions and input!! It is very helpful! I make my own MMF but my husband is getting burnt out on it and says I need to "venture" out a bit.

Thank you again!!
Julie thumbs_up.gif

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 11 Nov 2009 , 4:21pm
post #12 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoiled1

Thank you for all of your opinions and input!! It is very helpful! I make my own MMF but my husband is getting burnt out on it and says I need to "venture" out a bit.

Thank you again!!
Julie thumbs_up.gif

Oh yes, Massa is to die for. I do order it occasionally for super special occasions, AND when I want perfectly perfect. However, MFF-Michelle Foster Fondant is what I normally use. Recipe is in here, it is great of you want to get away from the marshmallow stuff.

pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 11 Nov 2009 , 4:27pm
post #13 of 13

I make MFF, easy and cheap and fairly easy to work with, satin ice for black and red though

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%