Lower Baking Temp

Decorating By crazydoglady Updated 10 Nov 2009 , 9:48pm by motherofgrace

crazydoglady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crazydoglady Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 2:57pm
post #1 of 7

i watched tutorials by linda mclure and she baked her cakes at 310 for 70 minutes.

i know that others bake at 325.

i've baked at 350 since childhood (when cars had fins) but would like to try it.

how does this affect the cake?

6 replies
playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 3:03pm
post #2 of 7

I use 3" deep pans, so I have to adjust both my time and temperature, or the cake won't be done in the center. I get a moister, fully-baked cake by baking at lower temperatures.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 3:06pm
post #3 of 7

I also bake at 320-325 after growing up doing at 350. (Yes you can teach old dogs new tricks). I find that the cakes baked more evenly and tend to be moister.

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 8:25pm
post #4 of 7

I bake at 325, my cakes bake more evenly, don't have to level them, the outside edge doesn't get all hard from being overdone by the time the middle is done.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 9:03pm
post #5 of 7

Directions are merely "suggestions". If you bake at 350 and the cake turns out fine, then leave it alone. If you bake at 350 and the cake comes out with hard crusty edges, then it's overbaked, either by an oven that's too hot or a cake that was left in too long. As Dr. Phil would say, "How's that workin' for ya?" If it's not working, change it.

I'm often confused by those who "follow a recipe to a T", find it doesn't work, but are afraid to change anything. Big kudos to the OP for being willing to break down the walls of the box! thumbs_up.gif

This is why I luv being a "until it looks right" cook. I'm not tied to measurements, instructions or temps that don't work in my kitchen. icon_biggrin.gif

korkyo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
korkyo Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 9:28pm
post #6 of 7

definatly 325! Makes a huge difference with the deep pans.

motherofgrace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
motherofgrace Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 9:48pm
post #7 of 7

yes, ive discovered 3" pans and baking temps in the last couple months!

I now always used my 3" (unless its left over batter) And do it at 320-325.

I know it takes longer but the dome is almost none existant, and they are much more moist. HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%