Help....fondant Letters

Decorating By mom2twogrlz Updated 10 Nov 2009 , 3:00pm by Bonnell

mom2twogrlz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2twogrlz Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 1:43am
post #1 of 11

I bought some of the Wilton 1 inch fondant alphabet fondant cut outs am having a problem. How the heck do you get the tiny little letters out of the cutter without distorting it. I am having a serious problem with the A...it is so small the fondant just won't come out without pulling out of shape or tearing. I know there has to be a trick to the trade......

10 replies
kaat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaat Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 1:47am
post #2 of 11

I haven't used that particular cutter but I know your frustration! I found if I let my fondant "dry" a bit (after I roll it) It comes out easier and holds it shape a little better.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 1:51am
post #3 of 11

For tiny flower cutters, you run your finger around the bottom edge, and if that doesn't loosen it, gently poke it out of the cutter with a rounded stick, like the end of a paintbrush. Maybe that would work for the letter cutter.

Bonnell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bonnell Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 2:00am
post #4 of 11

Mix a little Tylose in your fondant, roll it out and let it sit for a little while then cut out. That has been the trick that works for me. I let my fondant/gumpaste sit for about 30 minutes but you just need to see what works for you.

SandiOh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandiOh Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 2:08am
post #5 of 11

ugh, i feel your pain. I used the exact set tonight to cut out letters from candy clay. what a PIA....let us know what you come up with...me, I just have little holes in some of my letters from the end of the paintbrush pushing it out. icon_cry.gif

sweetcravings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcravings Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 2:29am
post #6 of 11

HATE this cutter set too! ugh!
Everytime i've used it i have issues. Sometimes i can't even find something small enough to put in the cutter to push out the letter. If i do find something then it leaves pokes in the fondant.
I do find if you let the fondant sit out to dry a bit first it does work better, and roll it nice and thin. I've been wanting to replace that cutter set with something better for some time but at this point i don't do enough cakes to warrent the extra expense. I feel your pain.

cakenutz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakenutz Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 2:37am
post #7 of 11

I put the cutters in cornstarch before I use them they come out fine with a little coaching.

sugarandslice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarandslice Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 2:51am
post #8 of 11

I haven't used the Wilton ones but I used to have loads of trouble with the funky tappits. But like PPs have said, put a little tylose in your fondant, then roll it really thin, let it sit uncovered for a while (at least 10 min), then dip your cutters in cornstarch or powdered sugar. Also, don't put powdered sugar under your fondant when you're rolling it; you want it to stick a little to the rolling surface rather than sticking to your cutter.
Aine2 and tonedna have videos on Youtube demonstrating how they do it.
HTH

mom2twogrlz Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 2:54am
post #9 of 11

ok...still having problems. I have tried coating the cutter in shortening, dipping in powdered sugar, letting the fondant dry some before cutting, letting the fondant dry in the cutter before poking it out, rolling the fondant thin, thick....nothing is working. A toothpick is the only thing I can find to fit in on the side of the A and it just pokes right though, I still have to try to pull the fondant out, distorting the A to look like a 2nd grader's attempt to write cursive!!!! UUUGGGGG!!!!!! I guess I will keep trying!!!!

mom2twogrlz Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 3:45am
post #10 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarandslice

I haven't used the Wilton ones but I used to have loads of trouble with the funky tappits. But like PPs have said, put a little tylose in your fondant, then roll it really thin, let it sit uncovered for a while (at least 10 min), then dip your cutters in cornstarch or powdered sugar. Also, don't put powdered sugar under your fondant when you're rolling it; you want it to stick a little to the rolling surface rather than sticking to your cutter.
Aine2 and tonedna have videos on Youtube demonstrating how they do it.
HTH

Thank you so much sugarandslice...you are a life saver. IT WORKED!!!! icon_biggrin.gif I combined both techniques as well as those on this post and was able to get some good ones.

I rolled my fondant a little thinner, put some shortening on the work surface to make the fondant stick rather than pull up with the cutter, and dipped my cutter in powdered sugar. A few stuck in the cutter anyway, and with those I whacked my cutter against the counter to free them rather than pull them away.

Once again CC saved the day. Thank God for the pros!!!!! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Bonnell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bonnell Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 3:00pm
post #11 of 11

You can also spray your cutter with non-stick spray before using. I usually spray mine once and that does the trick for several cuts.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%