Can We Start A Thread On How We Transport Our Cakes?

Decorating By charleezgal Updated 15 Nov 2009 , 3:20am by tracycakes

neecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
neecakes Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 1:02am
post #31 of 35

chelleb1974- Thank you much!

Jan14grands Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jan14grands Posted 14 Nov 2009 , 4:14pm
post #32 of 35

Ok, then, no more holding cakes on laps! Back floor, non skid mat, and then good to go. I always felt it would be safer on my lap, but I think it is bouncier than the floor, given the soft car seats maybe.

dynee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dynee Posted 14 Nov 2009 , 4:52pm
post #33 of 35

Just a story about the SPS. I delivered my nieces 4 tier wedding cake 120 miles from home. I had messed up when I ordered the SPS so only had it for the bottom two tiers 12" round and 7" square. So I figured no big deal for the top two, the 6" round and 4" square are so small surely, they would be all right with just dowels. I transported them them in two parts in 2 rectangle boxes with slip-stop under cakes and foam egg crate under boxes. What I didn't know is that the driveway into the venue was about a 45 degree slope(no kidding).. All was well until we headed up that hill.....When we opened the boxes, the larger one with the SPS hadn't moved, but the smaller one had skidded about an inch off center and it was iced with SMBC so it had no crust. The only thing I could do was to take my gloved hand and gently scoot it back together. Then in my tizzy, I put them together backwards, but no one knew it but me. I'm a believer in SPS

butterfly831915 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butterfly831915 Posted 14 Nov 2009 , 5:27pm
post #34 of 35

I used sps for my sisters five tier wedding cake that I had to drive an hour and a 1/2 to drop off and let me tell you, it was a great thing, I know I have no patience for doing the whole dowel thing. The road to the drop was very curvey and hilly. It made it there in one piece, can't say the same for me as I was already a nervous wreck because I did the cake, was maid of honor and helped decorate the hall. The only thing wrong was the 100+ temp and the sparkle get icing my sister wanted ont he top tier--it melted a little and looked bad. I never plan on doing a stacked cake again without the sps system. It is made to be a use and toss system but I have reused it many times without any issues and as the plates get bad then I just order some new ones. The main thing is with sps you have to make sure your tiers are the right heights.

tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 15 Nov 2009 , 3:20am
post #35 of 35

Love, Love, Love SPS! I never have to worry about cutting dowels and 'trying' to get them even. I don't worry about them collapsing or sliding. It's agreat system and inexpensive.

We were fulltimers for 2 years living and traveling in our motorhome. I learned then that non-skid liner was the most awesome stuff ever! I keep non-skid liner in my suv and all cakes have non-skid under them. I usually put cake sin a box to keep the sun off of them and if the box is a little bigger than the base, then I put non-skid under the cake in the box.

My DH saw the Ford Transport for the first time when we were at Tulsa for OSSAS. Both of our cars are getting close to 100,000 miles on them and we're thinking we may have to replace one of them, although I really don't want to. We've been looking at the Transport as a replacement.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%