Reply Needed Asap: Board Or No Board

Decorating By Bradymom6 Updated 9 Nov 2009 , 4:41pm by KHalstead

Bradymom6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bradymom6 Posted 7 Nov 2009 , 6:57pm
post #1 of 11

Okay fellow CC'ers, it is me again. The cake I am making is a round cake with a pillow cake on top. Now this is going to sound like a dumb question but when making the pillow cake should it be on it's own board and do I put it on the base cake with the board under it? I am going to assume that the board has to be cut smaller than the cake so it doesn't show. The round cake is going to be buttercream with fondant strips on it and the pillow cake is going to be covered in fondant. This is the same cake I was asking about earlier. It is the one I have to have done for tomorrow.
TIA
Cathy

10 replies
Motta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Motta Posted 7 Nov 2009 , 7:18pm
post #2 of 11

Yes, put a board smaller than the pillow cake underneath it. Good luck!

Bradymom6 Posted 7 Nov 2009 , 7:39pm
post #3 of 11

Thank you Motta. You don't know, by chance, how to make fondant tassels? Or what I can use to do them?

lorijom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lorijom Posted 7 Nov 2009 , 7:53pm
post #4 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradymom6

Thank you Motta. You don't know, by chance, how to make fondant tassels? Or what I can use to do them?

A clay extruder.

As for boards. Each cake that is iced separately...fondant or buttercream...or is a different size from another or if it's one size but more than 6 inches tall it needs to be on it's own cake board. And 9 times out of 10 it will need to be supported with dowels or whatever support system you use.

HTH icon_smile.gif

Bradymom6 Posted 7 Nov 2009 , 8:04pm
post #5 of 11

Can you give me an idea of where I can buy one, other than the internet?

lorijom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lorijom Posted 7 Nov 2009 , 8:08pm
post #6 of 11

Try the clay department at Michaels it should only run about $10-15 with lots of different shaped holes. In a pinch you can use playdoh tools, look for an extruder with a small multi-holed attachment thingy (which is a very technical term) icon_smile.gif

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 7 Nov 2009 , 8:19pm
post #7 of 11

definitely put a board and dowel your bottom cake, whether it's a pillow shape or another round or whatever, what you've got is a tiered cake!

here's one I did and you can't tell the pillow has a board under it, when I was done carving I just flipped the pillow over and cut the board to the exact size of the flat portion on the bottom of the pillow cake. HTH
LL

Bradymom6 Posted 7 Nov 2009 , 8:50pm
post #8 of 11

Khalstead, did you do the diamond pattern before you put the fondant on the cake?

KHalstead Posted 8 Nov 2009 , 1:37pm
post #9 of 11

nope, did it after I put the fondant on the cake..covered the whole thing in fondant then used a flat tracing wheel (looks like a mini pizza cutter but it's not sharp) from the sewing section to put the line around the edge to look like a seam and then just went at a diagonal angle and started making lines and then made them the opposite so they criss crossed.

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 8 Nov 2009 , 2:55pm
post #10 of 11

Yes, boards/support between each cake.

Tina - LOVE your cake!!!! Fantastic tiera (sp?)!!!

Jen icon_smile.gif

KHalstead Posted 9 Nov 2009 , 4:41pm
post #11 of 11

thank you so much Jen, means a lot coming from someone of your caliber

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%