Sore Wrist And Hand

Decorating By totallycaked Updated 12 Nov 2009 , 6:31am by totallycaked

totallycaked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
totallycaked Posted 7 Nov 2009 , 5:12am
post #1 of 7

Advice anyone? I am new and in love with decorating. I already have wrist issues. My hand and wrist hurts so bad after I decorate. Any advice? tips? wrist supports? thank for any help!

6 replies
KathysCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KathysCC Posted 7 Nov 2009 , 5:20am
post #2 of 7

I've just started battling this in the last few years. I was lucky to have my early decorating years pain free. I sometimes have a week of wrist pain after just one fondant cake.

When I first started out, I made the mistake of making my icing too thick to squeeze through the bag so piping buttercream, something that should have been easy, made my hands hurt. Don't know if that might be a problem for you, but I thought I'd mention it.

Kneading fondant seems to be my biggest problem now. Precolored fondant would be a good alternative, though probably more expensive if you don't do a lot of cakes. Teenagers come in handy for fondant kneading.... icon_lol.gif I use mine for that when I can... icon_biggrin.gif

Wilton makes some kind of wrist support but I don't know much about it or how well it works. Try to figure out what is causing the pain and find a way to make it easier. Hope you find a solution! I know I'd hate to give up decorating because of pain.

CBMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CBMom Posted 7 Nov 2009 , 1:23pm
post #3 of 7

Too dry BC is always my worst wrist culprit..and overfilling the bag, and its just too hard to squeezeicon_rolleyes.gif

Adding a little corn syrup has made it much easier...it makes the BC a little more "elastic" and easier to work with.

Good luck! Have fun!

icon_smile.gif

heavenlys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heavenlys Posted 7 Nov 2009 , 2:03pm
post #4 of 7

I have problem with this through the years and recently I have discovered that my chiropractor can help me alot!!! We have used acupuncture and cupping. That has helped a ton!
I also sleep with a wrist brace when I have a flair up.
There are exercises that a physical therapist could share with you to help. I don't know those for sure.

I have also used magnetic bracelets.
Good luck! It is no fun to hurt when you decorate.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 7 Nov 2009 , 2:07pm
post #5 of 7

Try pressing around on the muscles behind your armpit on your shoulder blade. I'll bet you'll find something that's really tender. You probably have "cake posture" as I refer to the hunch you get when you spend too much time bending over. The muscles in the front of your shoulders will shorten and the ones in the back on your rotator cuff (I think) will stretch out. That makes your arms go numb and will affect your hands, too.

Thin out your icing and stand up straight! Stop every now and then while you're working and stretch your shoulders back, also try stretching out the forearm muscles by flexing your hand.

ramie7224 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ramie7224 Posted 7 Nov 2009 , 2:38pm
post #6 of 7

I have carpal tunnel syndrome in my right wrist, so I run into this problem a lot. If I know I have a good bit of decorating to do that will most likely cause a flare up I get the IcyHot self adhesive patches, wrap one around my wrist and then put on my gloves. You can also try taking an Ibuprofen or two beforehand as they are anti-inflammatory and will help with the pain before it really gets started.

totallycaked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
totallycaked Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 6:31am
post #7 of 7

Thank you all.. my posture is horrible on a good day! My arms are falling asleep.. I think I will try a chiro... I have a very bad back... so I am a bit worried about people messing with my back but I LOVE decorating.. it is such a joy for me.. I must figure out how to fix this wrist/hand/ problem... this is NOT going to hold me back from a dream of decorating that I have had for years. I will thin out my icing too! and I over fill... are you all watching me in secret.. ha ha... thanks a ton!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%