What Size Would You Suggest

Decorating By cakebaker1957 Updated 9 Nov 2009 , 2:15pm by cakebaker1957

cakebaker1957 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaker1957 Posted 6 Nov 2009 , 9:26pm
post #1 of 6

Hey all, Im to talk with a bride to be and her Mother, and they want a 4 tier cake, to feed around 150-175 guest, I work full time so i need to really get my timming just right, I have just a reg oven and i know that some of the pans wont fit , What sizes would you suggest, The only thing i can come up with is this, 14, which i hate to think about doing, 12,10,8,And would have to have extra Kitchen cakes ,
I also thought of this one 12/10/8/6 and some Kitchen cakes, This one would really be easy for me , I would bake them and freeze them since .my time is limited, Also i may use the Wilton tall cake stand, the one that you have to slide your cakes down the poles. Which i have not used yet , my friend had one and used it at her D wedding and it held the cakes pretty good, What is your input on this, Also if she wants them stacked Im up the creek the im not too good at stacking cakes over 2 let alone three. icon_confused.gif

5 replies
elizacake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elizacake Posted 6 Nov 2009 , 9:57pm
post #2 of 6

1st question...will they be serving the top? If not, I would go with the 12,10,8,6 and one 9x13 sheet cake. Just breath...the most important part of a stacked cake is measuring your supports and cutting them evenly. If you use dowels, I suggest an inexpensive miter box to get perfectly even/smooth cuts. icon_smile.gif
Good luck...you can do it!

cakebaker1957 Posted 9 Nov 2009 , 2:02am
post #3 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElizabethS

1st question...will they be serving the top? If not, I would go with the 12,10,8,6 and one 9x13 sheet cake. Just breath...the most important part of a stacked cake is measuring your supports and cutting them evenly. If you use dowels, I suggest an inexpensive miter box to get perfectly even/smooth cuts. icon_smile.gif
Good luck...you can do it!

Thank You, I talked with them tonight , and they want a 3 tier cake, the first two is to be stacked on top of each other and the 6in one is on columns , which i have never done before , Im glad its the smallest one, Any info on using the wilton plates and columns(:

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 9 Nov 2009 , 3:17am
post #4 of 6

Can I talk you into using SPS?

Rosa2745 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosa2745 Posted 9 Nov 2009 , 3:29am
post #5 of 6

I would even suggest using a 16, 12, 10, and 8. I just made one this size yesterday. Along the side I made three 10 inch cakes to complete the 250 servings. I purchased the sps system from oasis supply and it worked like a charm. I took the 16 and 12 already stacked and just placed the other two at the party. Then I just placed the border and done. It was so easy and stress free. I didn't have to worry about it collapsing or anything. This is the link to my cake in case you want to see how those sizes would look.
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1510635

cakebaker1957 Posted 9 Nov 2009 , 2:15pm
post #6 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosa2745

I would even suggest using a 16, 12, 10, and 8. I just made one this size yesterday. Along the side I made three 10 inch cakes to complete the 250 servings. I purchased the sps system from oasis supply and it worked like a charm. I took the 16 and 12 already stacked and just placed the other two at the party. Then I just placed the border and done. It was so easy and stress free. I didn't have to worry about it collapsing or anything. This is the link to my cake in case you want to see how those sizes would look.
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1510635

they want a 14,10,6 and then i will make sheet cakes , there up for any thing there pretty easy to please, I will set up at the site, so i would really like to try to get the 6in on to the coloumns with out any mishap and the SPS system sound good, but its kind of expensive , Maybe i can get Santa to get it for me(: Since i have about 7months to figure it out(:
Thanks everyone

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%