Making Figures

Decorating By cookiecutters Updated 15 Nov 2009 , 6:30pm by CakesByAdriana

cookiecutters Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookiecutters Posted 5 Nov 2009 , 8:53pm
post #1 of 13

I am new to making figures and the Wilton fondant I am using is not working out. I added gum tex to it and now that I am trying to roll into balls it has spots that won't knead together. I have added Crisco because I, as some of you suggested, I thought it was too dry. It just keeps getting worse. Can I make the figures out of MMF and do I add gum tex to that as well?

12 replies
2SchnauzerLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2SchnauzerLady Posted 5 Nov 2009 , 9:05pm
post #2 of 13

Another cc'er, Loucinda, told me to nuke the fondant for a few seconds and it should mold together because I was having the same problem. I am getting ready to try it out this weekend.

underthesun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
underthesun Posted 5 Nov 2009 , 11:04pm
post #3 of 13

What was not working out with the wilton fondant??

cookiecutters Posted 6 Nov 2009 , 12:02am
post #4 of 13

The Wilton fondant with gum tex added was just splitting apart when I tried to roll it into a ball. I couldn't get a smooth ball without cracks in it and I kneaded in extra Crisco and it still didn't help.

underthesun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
underthesun Posted 6 Nov 2009 , 12:56am
post #5 of 13

I wonder if you might have added too much gumtex. Or maybe the fondant was really old. I know we have a small walmart here and wilton products can get very old sitting on the shelves.

I will say, I try not to use wilton fondant on my figures anymore. I use satin ice fondant and will add wilton gumpaste for a 50/50 mix. This seems to work best for me. I never have to add crisco to my mix, just my hands. You can see the difference in my photo gallery. The first figure I ever made, was cracked (and really really bad). But now my figures are much much smoother. Another tips is to work fast and keep all fondant covered in plastic wrap. It only takes a practicing a few figures to begin putting them together with speed. Good luck icon_smile.gif

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 6 Nov 2009 , 1:15am
post #6 of 13

You definitely have too much gum tex in the Wilton fondant. If you just mix in more plain fondant, it should resolve itself. Too much crisco will just make it worse. Nuking it for too long will cook it and can make the figures crack even more as they cool.

I love making figures with Wilton. I add 1/2 tsp. of cmc/gum-tex/tylose to 1lb. of Wilton fondant, sprinkling the powder on my board and gently kneading the paste over it.

I get a very workable product that's easy to roll crack-free. I only rub a tiny bit of crisco on my hands when I work--I don't actually knead any into the paste.

HTH
Rae

cookiecutters Posted 6 Nov 2009 , 11:56am
post #7 of 13

Thanks BlakesCakes! Mixing in the plain fondant did the trick, no cracks. Thank you, thank you, thank you! BTW, where do you buy Satin Ice? The shipping at the places I have looked at would make it super expensive.

pumpkinroses Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pumpkinroses Posted 14 Nov 2009 , 1:26pm
post #8 of 13

would combining Wilton fondant with Wilton gumpaste work well for figures? I have a couple of figures to make and don't want to make a whole batch of fondant.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 14 Nov 2009 , 9:46pm
post #9 of 13

Yes mixing in the gum paste is the same idea of adding in gum tex.

CakesByAdriana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByAdriana Posted 14 Nov 2009 , 10:11pm
post #10 of 13

Do you have to use GumTex in fondant or can you go without?

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 14 Nov 2009 , 10:15pm
post #11 of 13

I often mix leftover bits of gum paste with Wilton fondant when I'm making figures. It makes for a great product.

You need to add gum tex to fondant when you need the fondant to be stiffer--mainly for making bows, figures, flowers, etc.

Rae

anamado Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anamado Posted 14 Nov 2009 , 10:16pm
post #12 of 13

I always make all my figures with MMF, but I have never added gum tex.
MMF has been enough for me, besides, you can't find gum tex here in Portugal icon_biggrin.gif

CakesByAdriana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByAdriana Posted 15 Nov 2009 , 6:30pm
post #13 of 13

Thanks I have not used it for a long time. I have done all sorts of stuff ... flowers, figurines, etc. does it make it dry faster and stiffer? I use Wilton fondant.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%