Cake Boards

Decorating By chasley101 Updated 8 Nov 2009 , 3:27am by chasley101

chasley101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chasley101 Posted 5 Nov 2009 , 5:03pm
post #1 of 10

How do you cover your cake boards?

Do you use traditional cake board paper? Do you use wax paper? Do you always use fondant?

I don't know the best way to cover my cake boards. I just buy the cheap cardboard ones found at hobbylobby.

9 replies
greeneyegirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
greeneyegirl Posted 7 Nov 2009 , 1:48am
post #2 of 10

I am relatively new to this cake decorating thing but I cover mine with the traditional cake board paper. I would love to know how to cover it in fondant.....I mean I know how to cover it, but how do you make it stay on the board?

milkmaid42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milkmaid42 Posted 7 Nov 2009 , 4:02am
post #3 of 10

I like to use 1/2" foam core for the stability it affords. Smear the surface with piping gel, lay on fondant and cut the edge flush. Let dry so it doesn't get fingerprints or distorted then wrap the edge with appropriate ribbon, secured with a glue stick or gel. I usually do this a couple of days in advance. HTH.

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 7 Nov 2009 , 4:18am
post #4 of 10

I cover mine in freezer paper.

Brendabeeper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brendabeeper Posted 7 Nov 2009 , 4:38am
post #5 of 10

I buy the already shaped wood rounds and rectangle and square cake boards ( sold at Mangelsens or other craft stores) but cheaper if you have someone who may have the tools to cut them to shape. I cover it with a wax paper then foil on top of the was paper. (the wax paper is a 2nd layer to keep the cake from leaving marks on the wood boards. I usually only bake for friends who will return the cake boards so I reuse them ( KEEP IT GREEN) They run between $3.00 and $8.00 depends on size but they are so very sturdy , I reuse them all the time and It helps when I move and transport the cakes. I sometimes will use wallpaper boarder to or match the cake design. ( like in my cars photo) **also if you have a hobby lobby use the 40% off coupon to purchase the Very NICE FOIL CHRISTMAS paper for covering the boards. They come in plain silver ,gold,red, designes and very large rolls!

**you can actually glue small round knobs to the bottom to make a prettier cake display and it helps to lift the cake if you have a knob under the board to allow you access to pick it up (verses sliding the cake to the side of the table to pick it up .

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 7 Nov 2009 , 4:44am
post #6 of 10

I just buy cake drums.

lorijom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lorijom Posted 7 Nov 2009 , 4:50am
post #7 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s

I just buy cake drums.

Leah they're so expensive...where do you buy yours?

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 7 Nov 2009 , 4:51am
post #8 of 10

ck products. I also charge an equipment fee.

lorijom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lorijom Posted 7 Nov 2009 , 4:53am
post #9 of 10

Thanks I'll check them out.

chasley101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chasley101 Posted 8 Nov 2009 , 3:27am
post #10 of 10

thank you so much!! i use sometimes use fondant, wax paper and today i tried the fanci-foil paper. i really like that but its expensive.

thanks again!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%