Any Tips For A Doll Cake?

Decorating By sugarandslice Updated 5 Nov 2009 , 1:48am by sugarandslice

sugarandslice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarandslice Posted 4 Nov 2009 , 11:50pm
post #1 of 3

I've never used the doll-shaped tin before. You know the one that forms the cone-shaped dress/skirt and then you stick a Barbie in the top? Here in Aus it's called a Dolly Varden but I don't know if that's a universal name.

Anyway, I've never used it before and I'm making a 1950s theme cake for a client in a couple of weeks and want to know if there are any tips in making the cake cook through evenly, rise to the top without overflowing etc. I can imagine given the shape of it that the pointy end would cook much more quickly than the rest? I'll be using a scratch WASC recipe with Morello cherries added to it.

Any help or advice gratefully received.
Emma

2 replies
KristyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KristyCakes Posted 5 Nov 2009 , 1:20am
post #2 of 3

I've used the Wilton doll pan and it's got a metal rod that sticks up through to help with baking. I will say that if I use a full size doll vs. those 1/2 doll top picks, I've got to add at least 2 layers of cake underneath to make it tall enough to fit the legs. Best of luck!

sugarandslice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarandslice Posted 5 Nov 2009 , 1:48am
post #3 of 3

Thanks KristyCakes. The pan I've got (borrowed from a friend) doesn't have a rod up the middle. I wonder if I should put a metal skewer in?

I do have the Wilton doll without legs so that shouldn't be a problem.

Thanks again.
Emma

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%