Tylose Question

Decorating By babycakes73 Updated 5 Nov 2009 , 5:50pm by merriel

babycakes73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
babycakes73 Posted 4 Nov 2009 , 3:53pm
post #1 of 12

Hi
I just purchased a container of Tylose powder, and I was wonderinhg if anyone could please tell me how long this stuff lasts in the container? does it have an expiry date?
Also when mixing it was some Satin Ice fondant, how much do you use and do you just add the powder straight to the fondant?
Thanks for any info on these matters.

11 replies
JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 4 Nov 2009 , 3:55pm
post #2 of 12

I think it lasts forever.... icon_lol.gif It's a powder, so I would not worry about it spoiling....

I don't have a stedfast ratio...I just put a little into the fondant.... I know that doesn't help, sorry.

Jen icon_smile.gif

miss_sweetstory Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miss_sweetstory Posted 4 Nov 2009 , 4:15pm
post #3 of 12

A lot of people just "eye" the amount of Tylose... some like a little more, some a little less.

A good place to start is one level tsp. to 100 grams of fondant. (I round it to one level tsp. to 454 grams (1 lb.) ) That will give you a nice modeling paste.

kimbordeaux Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimbordeaux Posted 4 Nov 2009 , 4:17pm
post #4 of 12

Babycakes73,

I just got some recently. I've read on here to use about 1/2 tsp to a lb. of fondant. But, if I making flowers or sculptures I'm not using an entire lb. My last project I used about a baseball size amount of fondant and kneaded in 1/4 tsp of tylose. After about a day my flowers were ceramic flowers, as I wanted. HTH!

~Kim

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 4 Nov 2009 , 4:25pm
post #5 of 12

We use 1 teaspoon of gum (tylose or gum trag) per pound of fondant at school.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 4 Nov 2009 , 9:47pm
post #6 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by playingwithsugar

We use 1 teaspoon of gum (tylose or gum trag) per pound of fondant at school.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

I just took a class with Lorraine McKay. When using Satin Ice, FondX, or Pettinice (softer fondants), we used 1 level tsp./ 1 lb. of fondant. When using Wilton (a stiffer fondant), we used a heaping 1/2 tsp./ 1 lb. of fondant.

I used both ratios beause I brought 2 different types of fondant--SI and Wilton. In both instances, the result was great--easy to roll crack-free balls and large pieces weren't prone to cracking or sagging.

Sprinkle the Tylose in the center of your board and gently knead the fondant over it. The tylose will be evenly distributed throughout the fondant and you won't get lots of air bubbles that way.

HTH
Rae

merriel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
merriel Posted 4 Nov 2009 , 9:54pm
post #7 of 12

I just purchased some Confectionery International Tylose Powder to mix with MMF to make roses and noticed the instructions say to let it sit overnight. Is this really necessary, does anyone know? I was hoping to make the roses tonight. Also, if I use just a tiny bit (say 1/8 tsp to a softball size fondant ball then is that enough to give the roses some staying power while keeping them soft enough to eat? Thanks!

BlakesCakes Posted 4 Nov 2009 , 10:10pm
post #8 of 12

No, you don't need to let it sit overnight. Once it's kneaded in fully, it's ready to use. For a 4 ounce ball of fondant, you'd need about an 1/8th of a tsp.

If you roll your rose petals thin (as you should if they are to look lifelike), then no, they won't stay soft for long.

If they are definitely to be eaten, they should not be placed on wire or toothpicks, but instead on a lollipop stick or dry spaghetti.

HTH
Rae

kimbordeaux Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimbordeaux Posted 5 Nov 2009 , 12:57am
post #9 of 12

Merriel,

You wouldn't have to wait till the next day to use fondant. Its saying to get the full effect of Tylose, harding the fondant, you should let it sit overnight. When you add Tylose to fondant it won't immediately make it get harder. It will still be plyable as normal. After it sits for awhile it gets hard. I have trick to make it harden faster. I have a dehydrator. I put my flowers in for a couple of hours, being careful to flip occasionally, and they harden faster. When you first take them out they will still be floppy but will soon harden to look and feel like ceramic flowers. HTH!

Cakerer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakerer Posted 5 Nov 2009 , 1:15am
post #10 of 12

Is tylose and gum-tex similar? And, can it be used interchangeably? I have gum tex but no Tylose....so just wondering.

BlakesCakes Posted 5 Nov 2009 , 1:52am
post #11 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakerer

Is tylose and gum-tex similar? And, can it be used interchangeably? I have gum tex but no Tylose....so just wondering.

Yes, they're essentially the same thing and work the same way.

Rae

merriel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
merriel Posted 5 Nov 2009 , 5:50pm
post #12 of 12

Thanks Kim! That's funny - using the dehydrator had crossed my mind a while ago but I wasn't sure it would work - I will definitely try that, too!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%