Question About High Ratio Shortening....

Baking By TamiLahey Updated 5 Nov 2009 , 5:47am by JanH

TamiLahey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TamiLahey Posted 4 Nov 2009 , 3:04am
post #1 of 11

Hi, I have a question .....how do you adjust the amount of shortening in a recipe if you want to use the high ratio.
If it calls for 1 cup of shortening, how much of the high ratio would you use...etc....

thanks so much!! icon_redface.gif

10 replies
phoufer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
phoufer Posted 4 Nov 2009 , 3:21am
post #2 of 11

I hope it's the same amount because thats how I do it!

cakenutz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakenutz Posted 4 Nov 2009 , 3:41am
post #3 of 11

It is

Normita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Normita Posted 4 Nov 2009 , 4:03am
post #4 of 11

Its the same amount. The only difference between regular shortening and high ratio is that high ratio produces a nice buttercream which is not gritty and does not leave that greasy feeling in your mouth like regular shortening does. However, Indydebi uses a particular recipe that uses crisco that many other CC'ers have raved about.

TamiLahey Posted 4 Nov 2009 , 4:32am
post #5 of 11

Oh great, thanks so much!!!

Ruth0209 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ruth0209 Posted 4 Nov 2009 , 5:15am
post #6 of 11

I have to disagree. I use about 1/3 less. There's a difference in how much moisture high ratio shortening absorbs in a recipe compared to Crisco type shortening. I find that my buttercream is too dense when I use the same amount of high ratio shortening as the cheap stuff. I'm much happier with the consistency of my BC with less.

You might just want to experiment with it. Try less and see what you think. If you think it's not right you can just toss the rest in and finish mixing it.

TamiLahey Posted 4 Nov 2009 , 7:52am
post #7 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth0209

I have to disagree. I use about 1/3 less. There's a difference in how much moisture high ratio shortening absorbs in a recipe compared to Crisco type shortening. I find that my buttercream is too dense when I use the same amount of high ratio shortening as the cheap stuff. I'm much happier with the consistency of my BC with less.

You might just want to experiment with it. Try less and see what you think. If you think it's not right you can just toss the rest in and finish mixing it.

Ok thanks, I thought I had read some where that you can use less....

DsLady614 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DsLady614 Posted 4 Nov 2009 , 1:29pm
post #8 of 11

I was also told you should use less. I know the first time I used high ration in buttercream I didn't and it was a nightmare. Never crusted and I had no clue why until I mentioned it to the lady at the cake decorating store. So, for 1 cup I use 2/3 cup instead.

03FLSTF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
03FLSTF Posted 4 Nov 2009 , 1:50pm
post #9 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Normita

However, Indydebi uses a particular recipe that uses crisco that many other CC'ers have raved about.

I use Sweetex in place of Crisco in Indydebi's BC recipe and it comes out great.

Ruth0209 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ruth0209 Posted 4 Nov 2009 , 4:08pm
post #10 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by 03FLSTF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Normita

However, Indydebi uses a particular recipe that uses crisco that many other CC'ers have raved about.

I use Sweetex in place of Crisco in Indydebi's BC recipe and it comes out great.

I use less high ratio in Indydebi's, too. Her recipe calls for 1 1/3 c. shortening and I use 1 cup.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 5 Nov 2009 , 5:47am
post #11 of 11

Here are some hi-ratio b/c recipes:

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-633723-.html

HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%