Soccer Ball Cake Pan Help

Decorating By ashleyb2783 Updated 4 Nov 2009 , 5:01am by FlourPots

ashleyb2783 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ashleyb2783 Posted 3 Nov 2009 , 2:06am
post #1 of 8

icon_cry.gif

I am in major need of some help with this soccer ball cake. I have the Wilton soccer cake pan and I have tried twice to make the cake and both times it has not turned out right. The first time the cake didn't bake all the way up the sides and was mountain like in the middle. The second time the outsides were burnt and the inside was very gooey and not baked at all. Someone told me to use the Magic Strips but the only place it is able to fit or stay put is at the top of the pan, and I don't think that will work. I need to have this figured out by Saturday, my niece is counting on me to make this for her birthday party. Please please help!

7 replies
PinkLisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkLisa Posted 3 Nov 2009 , 2:11am
post #2 of 8

Use a flower nail and bake at a lower temperature. What temperature were you baking at?

chefjulie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chefjulie Posted 3 Nov 2009 , 2:19am
post #3 of 8

When I use that pan (or any deep pan) I bake at NO HIGHER than 325- usually closer to 300. It takes a lot longer to bake, but it does bake through without burning icon_smile.gif

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 3 Nov 2009 , 3:33am
post #4 of 8

Agree with previous posters. Bake at 325 or lower. I find that placing a greased flower nail in the bottom of the pan helps.

You may need to trim the very top edge if it gets crusty.

chilz822 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chilz822 Posted 3 Nov 2009 , 3:48am
post #5 of 8

After 3 failures, I learned a trick from a fellow cc'er that made all the difference...
Place a pan of water on the lower rack while baking (with a flower nail) at 325degrees. It takes a long time for this pan to bake, but everytime I've used the water method, it's worked. It helps keep the cake moist during the extended baking time...

ashleyb2783 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ashleyb2783 Posted 4 Nov 2009 , 2:22am
post #6 of 8

I was baking at 325 the third and fourth time. I found that it is taking longer to bake but the cake is not going all the way to the top of the pan. Do I need to put more batter in? Where do I get a flower nail?

Melony Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melony Posted 4 Nov 2009 , 2:48am
post #7 of 8

ashleyb,

I just did a 3d soccer ball with that pan last month and I totally agree with the others; lower your temp and use a flower nail.

Good luck with your cake! icon_smile.gif

Melony

FlourPots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlourPots Posted 4 Nov 2009 , 5:01am
post #8 of 8

I hate this pan...I had a few failed attempts myself...what finally worked (thanks to CC members), was using 2 flower nails, filling the pan only half-way with batter, placing water (as chilz said) on the rack below, and using homemade bake-even strips (to combat the crispy edge problem).

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%