How Do I Get Fondant Flowers To Dry?

Decorating By Lori4pyro Updated 31 Oct 2009 , 10:32am by janeoxo

Lori4pyro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lori4pyro Posted 30 Oct 2009 , 4:13pm
post #1 of 7

Help! I made fondant roses 2 days ago and now today they are getting sticky and soft again? Any suggestions?

6 replies
bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 30 Oct 2009 , 4:16pm
post #2 of 7

Hi there, if you used just fondant, its not going to dry hard. It will be soft. When I make my roses I use gumpaste only and that dries really hard. icon_smile.gif

korensmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
korensmommy Posted 30 Oct 2009 , 4:31pm
post #3 of 7

I live in southern Louisiana where the humidity is always 80%+ and nothing every dries!!

I put mine in the oven (not on!) with just the oven light on. That usually does the trick.

HamSquad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HamSquad Posted 30 Oct 2009 , 4:33pm
post #4 of 7

When making fondant roses or flowers, best to use Wilton gumtex, tylose or knead together1/2 gumpaste 1/2 fondant to get them to set. I mainly use gumtex in my fondant flowers, works great. Sometimes if it is too warm or high humidity may cause them not to be hard or storing them in a warm area sealed up in a container. I've made test pattern fondant flowers April, still good, keep in dry cool place. HTH
Hammy

LacyHogan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LacyHogan Posted 31 Oct 2009 , 6:23am
post #5 of 7

I would use a 50/50 mixture with gumpaste. Anything 3D could benefit from this. Good luck!

Caths_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Caths_Cakes Posted 31 Oct 2009 , 7:58am
post #6 of 7

I only ever use sugar florist paste for flowers now, dont know what that is anywhere else (im from the UK ) But it sets like china, fondant wont set, It may set eventually . . after mebbies days and days of drying, but chances of it keeping its nice shape are slim

janeoxo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janeoxo Posted 31 Oct 2009 , 10:32am
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caths_Cakes

I only ever use sugar florist paste for flowers now, dont know what that is anywhere else (im from the UK ) But it sets like china, fondant wont set, It may set eventually . . after mebbies days and days of drying, but chances of it keeping its nice shape are slim

What you are talking about is what the American's call gumpaste. HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%