Fbct Frosting And Recipe Help

Decorating By cakefort Updated 6 Nov 2009 , 3:56pm by prterrell

cakefort Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakefort Posted 30 Oct 2009 , 10:38am
post #1 of 12

I used the all butter recipe suggested in the tutorial for a FBCT. I was suprised that no liquid was used except for the flavoring. I had a very hard time working with this. My question is, is it supposed to be devoid of liquid (water or milk) to thin it? If so, how on earth do you work with it? It was too thick to pipe, and I had some very small, delicate areas to fill. I ended up using it more like fondant and grabbing a hunk and placing it on, smooshing it with my fingers or a toothpick. Obviously, I'm doing something very wrong icon_biggrin.gif .

Also, I used the Wilton black in the tube, and it was hard to squeeze out a #1, 2, or 3 tip without killing my hands. It kept lifting, skipping, and generally making me crazy.

I wanted to use the most mistake-proof recipe for this FBCT, but I'm thinking I might go back the standard recipe that actually pipes.

11 replies
lchristi27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lchristi27 Posted 30 Oct 2009 , 11:13am
post #2 of 12

I've done FBCT using other recipes and they have worked ok. I think adding some liquid to it might be fine.

This last time I did a RI transfer instead and wow was that easier and it worked so well. Just use saran wrap instead of wax paper, and no freezing. Wait overnight for it to dry and your done.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 30 Oct 2009 , 5:42pm
post #3 of 12

I have only every used my regular all crisco icing recipe for making FBCTs. I never saw the point in making a special icing to do them myself when I already had to make icing to cover the cake with and do to my borders. So I'd suggest just using your regular buttercream (butter/crisco & powder sugar version) on the next one and see how it goes.

I use a soft medium when working with it and I go ahead and make my own black icing.

nancyk100 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nancyk100 Posted 3 Nov 2009 , 12:13am
post #4 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasSugar

I have only every used my regular all crisco icing recipe for making FBCTs. I never saw the point in making a special icing to do them myself when I already had to make icing to cover the cake with and do to my borders. So I'd suggest just using your regular buttercream (butter/crisco & powder sugar version) on the next one and see how it goes.

I use a soft medium when working with it and I go ahead and make my own black icing.

so u can use your own icing to do this what ever it is called like the fbct icing? and it turns out the same.??
i was also looking for the receipe for the FBCT. can't find it any where. so can someone answer both of these questions, email me
thank you

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 3 Nov 2009 , 2:27am
post #5 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancyk100

so u can use your own icing to do this what ever it is called like the fbct icing? and it turns out the same.??
i was also looking for the receipe for the FBCT. can't find it any where. so can someone answer both of these questions, email me thank you

I'm not entirely sure what you are asking...but I'll answer what I *think* your question is. Yes, you can use your favorite buttercream recipe to do Frozen Buttercream Transfers (FBCT for short).

There are many, many buttercream recipes out there. There are Italian Meringue, Swiss Meringue, and French buttercreams. All of these have egg (whites in the meringues, yolk in the French) in the buttercream involve cooking on the stovetop and use only butter (no shortening/vegetable fat). Then there are the American style buttercreams, some of which contain no butter at all. These are made by mixing powdered sugar with butter or shortening or a combination of the two.

If you are just starting out, then the American style buttercreams are the easiest to make. The basic recipe is:

1 cup butter
1 cup shortening
8 cups (2 lbs) powdered sugar

Cream the butter and shortening, add the powdered sugar 1 cup at a time. You can also add flavoring of your choice, vanilla and almond or a comination of the two are very popular as is creme bouquet. If the icing is too thick, you can thin it with milk, cream, water, or corn syrup. When thinning, only add 1 tbsp of the liquid of choice at a time.

HTH!

nancyk100 Posted 6 Nov 2009 , 12:44am
post #6 of 12

i was at walmart today and seen that in the cake isle that there is fbct there too. has anyone used that? and if so how is it? or is it better to make your own?
i have nevered used this icing so was wondering if it is hard to work with?
i am needing to do a cake and on youtube it looked easy to do? is it? any suggestions you have please let me know.. all the help i can use.
ok thank you

nancyk100 Posted 6 Nov 2009 , 12:50am
post #7 of 12

and forgot.. seen on the post here that some have used there own icing receipe to do the fbct also? i use the crisco, powdered sugar, water, i think that's it. it is my regular icing receipe to do cakes. would that set up and freeze tooo like the fbct receipe? let me know. thank you

prterrell Posted 6 Nov 2009 , 12:56am
post #8 of 12

nancyk100, FBCT is a cake decorating method, not an icing.

nancyk100 Posted 6 Nov 2009 , 12:59am
post #9 of 12

now i am confused.
it is a method not an icing.
when i read the posts, i thought it was icing able to freeze to decorate?
so what do u mean it is a method?
thanks.

kim62808 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kim62808 Posted 6 Nov 2009 , 1:03am
post #10 of 12

I have used my reg buttercream aswell . Yes that will work . Basic buttercream works , all crisco based works , and I have even used canned at one point it worked .

I also went for convience and tried the tube ,, ehhh .. it is not good it drys fast then cracks away ,, ur better off coloring chocolate out of a can for black or just tint ur basic buttercream . I used canned chocolate for all the black u see and my half butter/crisco buttercream for the other !

Goodluck icon_biggrin.gif Hope I helped alittle .
LL

OMGitsaLisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OMGitsaLisa Posted 6 Nov 2009 , 1:03am
post #11 of 12

It's a method wherein you pipe whatever buttercream you want to use onto a sheet and then freeze that so it can be transferred to the top of the cake and be smooth.

prterrell Posted 6 Nov 2009 , 3:56pm
post #12 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancyk100

now i am confused.
it is a method not an icing.
when i read the posts, i thought it was icing able to freeze to decorate?
so what do u mean it is a method?
thanks.

FBCT = Frozen Buttercream Transfer

BC = Buttercream

Buttercream is an icing.

You cannot ice a cake or pipe on decorations with a frozen icing as the icing is then frozen hard.

Frozen Buttercream Transfer is a method of using buttercream to replicate a drawing and then place that drawing on a cake.

This tutorial explains how to do that: http://cakecentral.com/articles/73/how-to-create-a-frozen-buttercream-transfer#more-73

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%