I Am Sooooo Frustrated

Decorating By Barb1959 Updated 30 Oct 2009 , 9:31pm by DianeLM

Barb1959 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Barb1959 Posted 30 Oct 2009 , 12:28am
post #1 of 14

Okay, so I am making 3 dozen cakeballs for delivery tomorrw and Ihave them all coated in milk chocolate - no problem. Next step is to drizzle colored chocolate over the milk chocolate - problem.

Ihave one of those plastic botttles with the tiny tip on it that is supposed to be good for this type of thing. Well, it is great for the first 2 or so balls. After that it starts to get clogged. I have to tap it down, stick a tooth pick in the top and pray that it will work for another couple.

Does any one have a clue as to what is going wrong. I use the chocolate melts and put a little crisco to thin it out. I love the way it works WHEN IT WORKS.

Does anyone have a suggestion on a better method. I have tried the baggie method and this does not give me a crisp enough line. I need a crisp line because I make different designed to determine what type of cake is inside.

Thanks for any suggestions.

13 replies
Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 30 Oct 2009 , 12:31am
post #2 of 14

I HATE when that happens. I'll tell you what I've done and it helps. I plug in a heating pad (the kind for backaches, etc.) and I work with 2 bottles/bags of melted chocolate at a time. When one starts to harden I lay it on the heating pad to soften it up and use the other bag, then I keep switching it off.

HTH

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 30 Oct 2009 , 12:32am
post #3 of 14

chocolate is cooling and hardening.

short (5sec or so -- do in short burst until thin enough) spin through micro to remelt

Barb1959 Posted 30 Oct 2009 , 12:34am
post #4 of 14

Thanks, I think I will try that when I don't have a paid order. I knew if i came to my CC friends, I would get helpd. Love you guys.

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 30 Oct 2009 , 12:35am
post #5 of 14

I prefer to use parchment bags for drizzling chocolate. It's the only thing I like to use parchment for. I fill several bags so that while I'm using one, the others are lying in my electric skillet on "warm". Tip clogs, toss it in the pan, grab another bag.

Kerrym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kerrym Posted 30 Oct 2009 , 4:21am
post #6 of 14

I use the disposable icing bags and just snip the end off. Since we are on the subject of cake balls, the last few times I have made them the coating cracks. I dont know why it is all of a sudden doing this . Any suggestions?
Thanks

CakeMommyTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMommyTX Posted 30 Oct 2009 , 5:23am
post #7 of 14

Barb1959- Sounds like what everyone else said, the chocolate is cooling and clogging the tip.
I like to use the disposable bags and snip the tip, if you cut it small enough you can get really thin clean lines/drizzles.
As far as keeping them warm and melted the heating pad is a really good idea like dkelly suggested.
I learned that trick from Alton and it works great.

Kerrym- are you dipping cold cake balls in the melted chocolate?
If the balls are too cold it will crack the chocolate. I let mine sit out a few minutes to let some of the chill off of them, it does'nt take long because they are so small. This should help with the cracking.

Barb1959 Posted 30 Oct 2009 , 11:08am
post #8 of 14

Kerrym. I agaree with Cakemommy. I have been doing a lot of cake balls over the last couple of months and I know let them go from freezer ( I usually have them freezing for a while because I make them ahead of time and pull them out when I need them) to sitting on my counter for at least 15 to 30 min. Last night I did a great batch. I had to coat 3 dozen for a delivery today. I actually did something different (for me) that worked great. I usually always melt the chocolate in the microwave ( and have to add crisco to thin). This time I used a double boiler. It worked great because the chocolate never got hard. I worked with it over the water. To my surprise I was able to coat 36 balls with only 1 lb of chocolate melts.

Good luck

kaddikakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaddikakes Posted 30 Oct 2009 , 12:08pm
post #9 of 14

How much shortening do you put in the choc. when melting? I like the idea of the double boiler.

Barb1959 Posted 30 Oct 2009 , 12:12pm
post #10 of 14

Note - I only used the shortening when I used the microwave. About 1 Tbls to 1/2 lb give or take. I found I did not need it with the double boiler. Try first without

Deb_ Posted 30 Oct 2009 , 6:26pm
post #11 of 14

I too have better luck melting in the "double boiler" method.

I fill my electric skillet about 1/3 way full of water and place small pyrex bowls in the skillet....I can usually fit about 4 bowls.

I place the chocolate in the bowls and let it melt. I turn the skillet down to warm and it's the perfect temp to keep the chocolate melted to a good dipping consistency. I too don't need to add shortening when I use this method.

It's great because you can have 4 different types of chocolate melting at the same time.

I find the micro can seize the chocolate real fast if you're not careful.

DianeLM Posted 30 Oct 2009 , 6:34pm
post #12 of 14
Quote:
Quote:

I fill my electric skillet about 1/3 way full of water and place small pyrex bowls in the skillet....I can usually fit about 4 bowls.

Why do you bother with water? I place my glass bowls directly into the skillet. Sometimes I'll lay a towel in there first.

The lowest setting keeps everything nice and melted.

Deb_ Posted 30 Oct 2009 , 7:42pm
post #13 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by DianeLM

Quote:
Quote:

Why do you bother with water? I place my glass bowls directly into the skillet. Sometimes I'll lay a towel in there first.

The lowest setting keeps everything nice and melted.

Because, when I tried it without water my skillet was too hot for the chocolate and it seized up (even on warm which is my lowest setting). The water seems to defuse some of the heat.

My electric skillet was a bridal shower gift and I've been married 26 yrs so it's NOT the best. lol! I actually can't believe it still works.

DianeLM Posted 30 Oct 2009 , 9:31pm
post #14 of 14
Quote:
Quote:

My electric skillet was a bridal shower gift and I've been married 26 yrs so it's NOT the best. lol! I actually can't believe it still works.

I totally understand! Before I replaced it, I was using an electric skillet that was my MOTHER'S wedding gift when she was married in 1957!!!! I can't believe how much LIGHTER the new ones are! LOL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%