Do Any Of You Barter Your Cakes?

Decorating By Kaytecake Updated 29 Oct 2009 , 8:56pm by littlecake

Kaytecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kaytecake Posted 29 Oct 2009 , 5:15pm
post #1 of 14

I don't know if I'm allowed to post this or not. I am not trying to promote this ad and I am not the person who placed the ad- it just caught my attention. I am not professionally trained and have never had a cake business- so I'm not sure what to think of it. Have any of you ever done something like this or know someone who has? Are we allowed to do this? I just thought it was odd. Note: Please read the text and item list before you scroll down to the cake pictures. icon_eek.gif

If I may, here's the link:
http://capecod.craigslist.org/bar/1427645567.html
My apologies if this is inappropriate.

Just curious.

Have a good day,

Kaytecake

13 replies
chinadoll652003 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chinadoll652003 Posted 29 Oct 2009 , 5:50pm
post #2 of 14

Sounds pretty fishy to me. I don't know if you can do that either but if as the person states he/she has done "high end" cakes and been on the cover of several magazines then why would he/she even need to barter? You would think if that were the case then he/she would have plenty of paying customers and could buy the things for the house without bartering.

chinadoll652003 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chinadoll652003 Posted 29 Oct 2009 , 5:52pm
post #3 of 14

Sounds pretty fishy to me. I don't know if you can do that either but if as the person states he/she has done "high end" cakes and been on the cover of several magazines then why would he/she even need to barter? You would think if that were the case then he/she would have plenty of paying customers and could buy the things for the house without bartering.

cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 29 Oct 2009 , 6:40pm
post #4 of 14

Isn't Fishy at all! I barter cakes and dance lessons for stuff all the time. Bartered a $1500 wedding cake myself for a used vehicle. Both parties are super happy with the outcome. I have had friends who have bartered and ended up with the short end of the stick BUT, my personal experience has been great.

I currently have a plumber and an electrician lined up to assist with my comm kitchen buildout. One wants dance lessons for their daughter the other, has a wedding coming up in about 6 months.

edited to add, not only is bartering perfectly legal in all 50 states it is encouraged during this economic down turn.

cookiemama2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookiemama2 Posted 29 Oct 2009 , 6:56pm
post #5 of 14

I think its a great idea!
My uncle does work all the time for us, I pay for the materials and bake for him in return for the labor.
I also feed / make coffee for anyone who comes and does any work in my home. People appreciate it, they think you are going out of your way to do something for them and they tend to go out of their way in helping you.

grannys3angels Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grannys3angels Posted 29 Oct 2009 , 7:19pm
post #6 of 14

I just did this with my DD best friend since 1st. grade. I needed a cut and color and she needed a cake. So, I got the cut and color and she will be getting a cake next month.

God Bless,
Sharon

Rachie204 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rachie204 Posted 29 Oct 2009 , 7:25pm
post #7 of 14

I don't think it's fishy....My family owns an ocean front beach condo and we trade off for stuff sometimes. I even did an exchange with my photographer of my wedding for a free Wedding portrait for a few days at the condo...Still need to decide what we want and let him know...(i have been married 3 years...lol)

auntginn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntginn Posted 29 Oct 2009 , 7:29pm
post #8 of 14

I wouldn't do it for/with just anybody but do barter from time to time. My grandaughtrs sweet 16 is coming up. I barterd quinceniera cakes for services I will need for my gdaughters event. Such as invitations, her cake, catering, photography to name a few. Call it barter, call it doing a favor, if I can help you and you can help me and everybody is happy I don't see what makes it wrong.

How the city looks at it might be another story. I'm not sure about that.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 29 Oct 2009 , 7:31pm
post #9 of 14

It's not really that odd...it might be a way for both the baker and the person bartering with her to save a little bit on taxes...you're still supposed to pay taxes on any barter that you do but since it's not money changing hands the value of the barter could be a little different than the retail price would be.

Also, different areas have been hit harder by the economy problems...there may not be a lot of people in her area who can afford really high-end cakes right now, but they may have things they aren't using that they can trade.

I thought it was funny the idea of trading exercise equipment for cake...kind of makes a statement icon_biggrin.gif

Flintstone691961 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Flintstone691961 Posted 29 Oct 2009 , 7:34pm
post #10 of 14

I just bartered a cake for some smoked pork...it's fun....

Rachie204 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rachie204 Posted 29 Oct 2009 , 7:37pm
post #11 of 14

I thought it was funny the idea of trading exercise equipment for cake...kind of makes a statement

Haha yeah that is funny...we recently had a church yard sale to benefit our youth group and one lady bought a piece of exercise equipment and one or two boxes of doughnuts. LOL

Kaytecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kaytecake Posted 29 Oct 2009 , 7:52pm
post #12 of 14

I had considered a "trade" with people but I wasn't sure if food items were allowed. My elderly neighbor offers to print out pictures for me in exchange for my homemade pizza. It does seem to be a sign of the times, with more people hurting in this economy. If both parties go into an agreement based on good faith, then it could be a way to cope and benefit both parties. I just think too small, I guess. I don't do high end, multi- tiered wedding cakes - so equating them with appliances, etc., in an exchange may not be that far off the mark. I wasn't sure about the tax and/or health code responsibilities.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 29 Oct 2009 , 8:21pm
post #13 of 14

It sounded like the person who posted the ad has a business, so she's already taken care of the health code issues.

For a home baker, depending on your state, it may not be legal to barter food items. It's not legal where I am. I would still make the elderly neighbor a pizza though and consider the picture printing just a bonus icon_biggrin.gif

littlecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlecake Posted 29 Oct 2009 , 8:56pm
post #14 of 14

HOW FUN!!!!!!!!! i love it!

i tried to barter on craigslist for a dishwasher....i didn't get a dishwasher, but i got some new customers,

i think these days you got to think outside the box.

i love this ad!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%