Grrrr...frustration!! Fondant Accents

Decorating By sherrycanary62 Updated 29 Oct 2009 , 5:13pm by MJoycake

sherrycanary62 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sherrycanary62 Posted 29 Oct 2009 , 4:27pm
post #1 of 6

:::icon_biggrin.gifeep Breath::: icon_biggrin.gif

I am trying to finish up a teapot cake....I am having trouble with the handle.

First I made out of mmf ....it never set up...soft....so I redid with fondant adding gumtex and powdered sugar to stiffen the fondant....nope a no go this would not set up either

Then I redid with all gumpaste...it did stiffen but when I went to attach to cake it broke....grrrrr icon_cry.gif

I have tried in the past a 50/50 fondant/gumpaste mix but have not had any luck with this mixture...it was very crumbly and dry...Is that because I use mmf instead of commercial fondant?

So now I have an even stiffer fondant setting up on the cake but it is propped up with a halved papertowel roll wrapped in wax paper and I am not sure that this is going to set up.

Its not like this cake has a due date this is just technique and design practice. But I would like to make another for a friends bday on Monday...tho I do have a back up cake plan for her.

Have I missed anything....any other tips or tricks that you can suggest?

Thank You
Sherry thumbs_up.gif

5 replies
Malakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Malakin Posted 29 Oct 2009 , 4:34pm
post #2 of 6

I quit mixing stuff with MMF cause it seemed to always stay soft. Some people use pastillage for that type of work. I use 50/50 or just gumpaste.

HamSquad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HamSquad Posted 29 Oct 2009 , 4:49pm
post #3 of 6

I have found that using MMF does not work well at all for fondant pieces. I typically use Wilton fondant with gumtex to get it to dry well. I have had to use RI on the fondant baby cribs, picture frames for this very reason, the MMF would not set firm at all. I thought it was the weather. Repeat the crib for another cake, there was no humidity, same thing. Oh yeah a great tip came from the wonderful people here(The Mighty CCers) let your pieces dry in a turned off oven with the light on. HTH
Hamsquad

ASimpleBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ASimpleBaker Posted 29 Oct 2009 , 4:56pm
post #4 of 6

I have mixed tylose with my MMF and had it dry nicely! princess.gif

boxerbabe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
boxerbabe Posted 29 Oct 2009 , 5:05pm
post #5 of 6

Try modleing chocloate... melt 4 oz. vanilla flavored candy coating,add 2 tablespoones coarn syrup mix well cool at least 4 hours nead until smooth add jell coloring as you need you might want to cover that with fondant for uniformity

MJoycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MJoycake Posted 29 Oct 2009 , 5:13pm
post #6 of 6

I used 50/50 wilton fondant with wilton gumpaste for my teapot handle...I actually molded it with a short skewer sticking out of the top part...let it dry a few days, then put a little RI where it would attach and stuck the skewer in.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%