In A Pickle

Business By jhuntl01 Updated 1 Nov 2009 , 4:40pm by littlecake

jhuntl01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jhuntl01 Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 6:53pm
post #1 of 16

Ok so I know you are all going to yell about pricing, but let me explain...I have since changed my pricing per serving and this is the only cake that was priced like this. It was an order taken last year.

So I have a bride for this month that ordered her cake and decided on a 6, a 10 and 14" round cake. We did the top tier free (that is customary in the area) so I had 94 servings at 2.50 per serving. I do not charge for extra decorating unless it involves fondant or a filling other than butter cream and then there is a .75 per serving up for each of them. So back to this cake...it was originally a white cake with "some" scroll work on the side and a fountain underneath...now I just got a letter in the mail with the picture below. The issue is the "pearls" on the side of the cake. She wants to know if the pearls are expensive and if so what do I suggest in it's place. I am at a loss as I have never done pearls. I looked at Earlenes Edible Pearls, but I don't know how many or what size...any suggestions? Also do you think I have room to charge for these?

15 replies
ccr03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccr03 Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 6:57pm
post #2 of 16

The 'pearls' just look like regular buttercream piping.

jhuntl01 Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 7:01pm
post #3 of 16

They sorta do on the scanned version, but i assure you the page I received you can tell they are pearly.

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 7:02pm
post #4 of 16

I can't really see the pearls in the pic posted. You can purchase edible pearls in a variety of sizes and colors (http://www.countrykitchensa.com/catalog/mini.aspx?T=1&ShopId=38&CatId=624&SubCatId=1678) These are the individual pearls, not strands. They aren't that expensive in the 4 oz size, which you'd probably only need 2 or 3 containers at most. BUT they are finicky to place, a pair of fine nose tweezers are the best tool for placing them. I'd charge for the cost of the pearls + the shipping cost of ordering them PLUS a fee for placing on the cakes. You could probably average about a tier per hour, with the smaller tiers taking a little less and the larger tiers taking a little more, so I'd charge a per tier price of what ever you want to make per hour, for me that's $15. HTH!

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 7:04pm
post #5 of 16

I see no pearls at all. Am I that blind?

jhuntl01 Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 7:13pm
post #6 of 16

prterrel - you said 4 ounce containers, but it looks like the site you sent me to sells them in 1 pound containers for $8 or am I missing something?
Edited to say...yup I'm an idiot just had to scroll down. Sorry about that icon_smile.gif

LKing12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LKing12 Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 7:15pm
post #7 of 16

Are you talking about the edging on the ruffles? I see no pearls either...and I have been seeing many strange things today!

HamSquad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HamSquad Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 7:25pm
post #8 of 16

Did a cake similar to this one. This does have pearls on it, but they are not the edible ones, they are the stranded pearls that wilton used to sell. The instructions then for this type of cake was to use a tip # 2 or 3, pipe just above the ruffle, then place the strand of pearls in place on the BC line to hold them in place. To place individual pearls is just as effective, more time consuming. HTH. I did this on a Valentine Wedding Cake- in my photos.
Hammy

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 7:39pm
post #9 of 16

I just wanted to say that if she wants this EXACT design, you need to upcharge for that string work. I too don't charge any extra for buttercream decorations unless it's extensive like a basketweave or something to cover the whole thing...but that string work will give you fits!!! You need to charge more or you'll resent doing this order!!

jhuntl01 Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 7:45pm
post #10 of 16

I am going to let her know that to add the pearls will be an extra charge and see what she says.

By the way the peals are what looks like strings just above the ruffle to those who can't see it. I had scanned it better but the file was too big and it was in Adobe Reader so I couldn't make it smaller.

KristyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KristyCakes Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 10:09pm
post #11 of 16

Could you use a pearl-string mold for fondant like those from First Impressions? Just a thought. Still charge extra, though! icon_smile.gif

auntginn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntginn Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 10:34pm
post #12 of 16

I would ask the customer if she wants the plastic pearls or edible one. Tell her there is a huge difference in price. It will make all the difference in the world to you. But be prepared with 2 quotes because she will ask you how much for each.

Either way, she is already prepared to pay more because she is asking.

jhuntl01 Posted 1 Nov 2009 , 2:38pm
post #13 of 16

One more question though...what size pearls do I need to buy? Like I said I have never done any work with these pearls and the sizes are foreign to me. Any insight would be helpful. TIA

hamie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hamie Posted 1 Nov 2009 , 4:14pm
post #14 of 16

I have done this cake several times. I purchase the strings of pearls from hobby lobby in the bridal section. Just lay them on the ruffle after piping, the will stick if the icing has not crusted.

The pearls are 4mm, you could use edible pearls, but it would really be a pain to place each one. Go with the string and you will be much happier.

Good luck

jhuntl01 Posted 1 Nov 2009 , 4:30pm
post #15 of 16

The bride wants edible icon_rolleyes.gif however I am thinking of getting a mold from Global Sugar Art and molding them with red fondant and dusting them...hmmm I think that would be better.

littlecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlecake Posted 1 Nov 2009 , 4:40pm
post #16 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamie

I have done this cake several times. I purchase the strings of pearls from hobby lobby in the bridal section. Just lay them on the ruffle after piping, the will stick if the icing has not crusted.

The pearls are 4mm, you could use edible pearls, but it would really be a pain to place each one. Go with the string and you will be much happier.

Good luck

this is what i do at this pricepoint, simple and cheap. and it looks nice, just tell them not to eat it ...too much fiber!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%