Seriously? Think Again You Dreamer.

Lounge By mkolmar Updated 1 Nov 2009 , 9:57pm by cabecakes

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 2:53am
post #1 of 20

Why can't people take no for an answer? Why is it normally family that refuse to take that no for an answer?!

My mom's job decided today to throw an 80th b-day party for one of the volunteers. Today is Tuesday, they want the cake for Friday. I told my mom no.

Mom: Why?
Me: It's short notice and the cake is due early Friday morning when I work a long day this Thursday.
Mom: Can't you just stay up to finish it Thursday night?
Me: Are you insane! I work from 5:50 am to 8:30 pm on Thursdays.
Mom: They said they are willing to pay you well. How much for a 12x18 simple sheet cake that is torted alternating white and chocolate cake filled with 3 layers of strawberry buttercream?
Me: More than they are willing to pay. *seething sarcasm at this point*
Mom: No more than probably $50 or $60 right, how could it be more than that?!
Me: That's an insult, besides I gave up my license, I can't do it. You know this.
Mom: Donate it then.
Me: Fat chance. You know the kids are sick (2 of my kids more than likely have the flu). I'm not donating anything, besides I'm tired of everyone wanting a donation.
Mom: You have OCD anyways and you are really good about the health code, it should be fine.
Me: Whatever, don't you work for state lawyers who are advocates for the aging. I don't think so, don't ask me again. They are LAWYERS...I mean come on, think about this.
Mom: What's the chances of one of them getting sick and you getting in trouble. Just make the cake please and help me out. She's so sweet and turning 80. Who knows how many years she has left. We want to make this nice for her and don't want a Cosco cake.
Me: Nope! That guilt trip isn't going to work. I have to go one of the kids is needing help.
Mom: I'll call you later after you think about it, then I'll tell you when I'll pick it up.
Me: CLICK *hangs up the phone*

AAAGGGGGGG! Does anyone else notice how many different problems there are with this conversation.
My mom use to decorate and sell cakes. She knows what everything costs and how much time it takes.
She called back and I didn't pick up. This is a hopeless conversation.

19 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 3:04am
post #2 of 20

(bolding added by me)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkolmar

Mom: ...... How much for a 12x18 simple sheet cake that is torted alternating white and chocolate cake filled with 3 layers of strawberry buttercream?

Simple. They always SAY 'simple', don't they? This one had me shaking my head ... until I got to the part where you explained that mom used to make cakes. Then my face went to ------> icon_surprised.gif

Bunsen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bunsen Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 3:11am
post #3 of 20
Quote:

My mom use to decorate and sell cakes. She knows what everything costs and how much time it takes.

Apparently she forgot to allow for inflation since she last made a cake! I'd be suggesting that since she has the skills she should make the cake, after all, it's only a simple sheet cake...

OfficerMorgan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OfficerMorgan Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 3:14am
post #4 of 20

Maybe she wanted to show off her daughter's caking skills and was upset when she said no?

indydebi Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 3:18am
post #5 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunsen

...... she should make the cake, after all, it's only a simple sheet cake...

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif good one!

OMGitsaLisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OMGitsaLisa Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 3:23am
post #6 of 20

I don't understand what's preventing her from making the cake since she apparently knows how.

Bluebelles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluebelles Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 3:34am
post #7 of 20

Ya can't win, because it's Mom. (Anybody else would be out of luck). I would just make the simplest cake possible, no fancy designs. If you don't the guilt will drive you crazy.

DetailsByDawn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DetailsByDawn Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 3:39am
post #8 of 20

Are you sure you weren't talking to my sister-in-law? icon_confused.gif

indydebi Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 3:40am
post #9 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebelles

Ya can't win, because it's Mom. (Anybody else would be out of luck). I would just make the simplest cake possible, no fancy designs. If you don't the guilt will drive you crazy.

what would drive me crazy is constantly being controlled by other people who somehow force me to be a doormat. Nope, she handled it PERFECTLY!

Sweet_Treats_1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweet_Treats_1 Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 3:42am
post #10 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebelles

what would drive me crazy is constantly being controlled by other people who somehow force me to be a doormat. Nope, she handled it PERFECTLY!

thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

paulstonia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paulstonia Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 3:50am
post #11 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by OMGitsaLisa

I don't understand what's preventing her from making the cake since she apparently knows how.

Really, let her stay up half the night Thursday making this cake she so desperately needs.

mkolmar Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 3:55am
post #12 of 20

Officermorgan, I wish that was true, but they know my work since they've have my cakes/pastries before. This was just a ploy to try to get me to work for free or very cheap and I saw straight through it.

She totally could make the cake if she wanted to. She has not decorated in many years but I'm sure she could pick it up again with practice. Why not start now. icon_lol.gif

Just thought you all would be as shocked at this conversation as I was. Still shaking my head over it. The sheer cake balls of this conversation is stunning, and to think I'd agree to it is more insane.

blessedist Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blessedist Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 4:03am
post #13 of 20
Quote:

The sheer cake balls of this conversation

icon_cry.gif

mkolmar Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 4:04am
post #14 of 20

DetailsByDawn-- God made two of them? icon_surprised.gif

I've just never heard of such reaching to extremes in a conversation to try to guilt someone into doing a cake....and by my own mother none the less.
I shouldn't be shocked though. Oh the stories I could tell, but I won't because you'll all demand me to go to therapy. That and there's not enough space on this site for that novel.

Sweet_Treats_1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweet_Treats_1 Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 4:21am
post #15 of 20
Quote:

The sheer cake balls of this conversation is stunning,

Too Funny icon_biggrin.gif

Mensch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mensch Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 6:08am
post #16 of 20

Good for you for standing up to this kind of bullying behavior. Yo' mama thought she could guilt you into making that cake!

mkolmar Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 3:57pm
post #17 of 20

Yep, she thought she could guilt and push me into it. Didn't work.

My mom called this morning and I picked up the phone sounding horrible due to a sinus infection. She told me to forget about doing the cake since I'm not feeling well. icon_confused.gificon_eek.gif All the other stuff I wrote didn't matter, but she now changes her mind. Weird, but I'll take it.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 11:18pm
post #18 of 20
Quote:

Yep, she thought she could guilt and push me into it. Didn't work.

My mom called this morning and I picked up the phone sounding horrible due to a sinus infection. She told me to forget about doing the cake since I'm not feeling well. icon_confused.gificon_eek.gif All the other stuff I wrote didn't matter, but she now changes her mind. Weird, but I'll take it.

That's very generous of her, to tell you that you don't have to do a cake that you told her you weren't doing in the first place! How kind! icon_lol.gif

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 29 Oct 2009 , 10:54pm
post #19 of 20

That was mom's way of telling you, you won.

cabecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cabecakes Posted 1 Nov 2009 , 9:57pm
post #20 of 20

Why does everyone expect stuff for free. My gosh! I have this same problem. Not with my mom, but others. I have reached one conclusion. I do nothing for free anymore (Unless it is for my children or grandchildren). I just did a cake for a friend of mine for the cost of ingredients (BIG BIG MISTAKE), now she wants a baby-shower cake, a cake for her husband's birthday, and a cake for her father's birthday. And I just know that since she never mentioned the cost she is expecting those for cost too. Sorry, no can do. I entered into this enterprise to make a little extra money for my family. I can't very well do that by giving stuff away for free. Especially since she is my friend and knows how much I need the extra income.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%