Equipment Deposit; Items Not Returned

Business By jenmat Updated 28 Oct 2009 , 9:11pm by cylstrial

jenmat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenmat Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 1:27am
post #1 of 12

ok, I just got a call from the event site I worked with this weekend. The bride left all of my equipment with the site, and is now on her honeymoon. The contract she signed stated that the items must be returned by tomorrow or I would cash the check and begin deducting $5 per day until items are returned. I always thought that was fair, (and never had to deal with it) until this:
This bride is an older bride (and a PITA) who threw a fit about the drive to my home. (about 20 minutes) and made a point to say she did not want to drive all the way to return my items. After explaining my policy again, she said she would try and find someone to do it. She signed the contract.
The coordinator at the hall is VOLUNTEERING to get the items to me. (and no, I did not throw a fit with her- she knows this bride is insane)

So, do I only deduct the money until she gets the items to me, or do I cash the entire check and retain all funds, since the bride technically lost my items? I know, its probably the first one.... but come on woman, show some respect!

11 replies
thelma0118 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thelma0118 Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 1:36am
post #2 of 12

I would cash the check - she signed a contract that is binding - SHE is not returning the equipment - and you're very luck that its getting returned - sorry - a contract is a contract - TRUST ME - ive lost thousands of dollars because i was a softie - and now - NO MORE - ive learned from the past and i wouldnt want this so happen to anyone else!

ttehan4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ttehan4 Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 1:40am
post #3 of 12

If the person from the venue returns the items I would only deduct the 5.00 late fee. I think you are asking for a problem if she finds out the venue returned for her and you are not refunding the money. If she was a PITA before imagine the drama if she doesnt get her money. Not worth it!

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 1:44am
post #4 of 12

Don't know why the hall coordinator should be inconvenienced running the bride's errands...

When the bride left the check, she knew the conditions of the equipment rental and made no arrangements to have your items returned.

Does the check cover the purchase price of the rental equipment if the bride never returns it? If so, I'd cash the check immediately and only refund any unused rental days - if she returns your equipment before the fines eat up the balance.

HTH

minicuppie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
minicuppie Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 1:15pm
post #5 of 12

I am just stirring the pot here...call her bank and see if the check is good. Your 'zilla sounds like the type that would cancel a deposit check. Otherwise I agree with OP...this vendor is bending over backwards to get everything concerning this event closed. Then she will light a sage bouquet and remove the evil spirits from her place. Why not offer to meet her halfway between your places...

cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 1:40pm
post #6 of 12

Your first mistake was accepting a check for the deposit. The minute she wrote it she could put a stop payment on it and you would be none the wiser until you try to cash it. PITAs generally have every angle covered to get something for nothing. All she would have to do is claim that yes you were returned those items, it would be your word against hers. ALWAYS do a cash only or credit card deposit.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 1:40pm
post #7 of 12

So many details.

When an equipment deposit check is received I think it should be cashed and a money order or cashier's check could be purchased and that held until the equipment is returned. Holding a check from someone who is likely changing their name and possibly closing bank accounts is asking for trouble. Even credit card deposits can be charged back.

So I agree with MiniCuppie--make sure the check is good by phone. And if yes I'd go cash it at her bank rather than deposit it into my account.

But I do not sit on checks and hold them like that.

Also I'd tack on the five bucks or whatever charge there is for obtaining the cashier's check/money order. And make sure that it is good for the period of time involved. Some of them might say good for 12 months or good for 60 days--be careful of that detail.

Shoot split the 'reward' money with the nice vendor.

mmdiez10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mmdiez10 Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 1:47pm
post #8 of 12

I would say cash the check at the bride's bank and when and if you get your items back, offer the venue rep a portion to cover her effort in getting the items back to you.

alvarezmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alvarezmom Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 1:51pm
post #9 of 12

Sorry your having to deal with this. You could have the nice vendor drive to your place and return the equipment, cash the check, and have to deal with the awful bride whine about the money.

OR you could just go and get your equpiment, cash the check and when the PITA calles you and wants to know why you cashed her deposit check you can tell her because she didnt return the equipment and you had to drive to pick it up--You could take on gas, time...it will add up!

jenmat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenmat Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 4:39pm
post #10 of 12

I wish we still could count on emails to alert us when there is a response!!

Update- I actually got a response from the bride (yes, on her honeymoon), she said her daughters were in charge of the getting the items to me, and she was very disappointed because the venue was supposed to have the items out for them to see... Huh?
Anyway, the vendor just called, on her way to drop the things off with my husband, who works with her mother.... and, she liked the cake so much that she is booking her own wedding with me. I guess alls well that ends well... the little devil sitting on my shoulder really wanted to cash that check.... but it was only $50, not worth the WW III it would start. Thanks for all the advice, I may look into the cashier's check thing. I just don't like holding people's money hostage, but that would be the spineless wimp on my other shoulder!

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 4:42pm
post #11 of 12

I make & use disposables. The bride buys it all on the front end.

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 9:11pm
post #12 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttehan4

If the person from the venue returns the items I would only deduct the 5.00 late fee. I think you are asking for a problem if she finds out the venue returned for her and you are not refunding the money. If she was a PITA before imagine the drama if she doesnt get her money. Not worth it!

I would do the same thing!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%