Storage And Organizaiton

Decorating By jenncowin Updated 2 Nov 2009 , 11:13pm by jenncowin

jenncowin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenncowin Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 8:51pm
post #1 of 15

Okay, I am planning on reorganizing all of my cake stuff this winter and need help! Could those of you that either have a licensed home kitchen or bake out of your home, post some pictures or ideas of how you keep everything in order? I live in a mobile home, so space is limited. I thought I was doing good at keeping everything organized, but I've accumilated so much stuff it's turning into chaos.

Any help is appreciated! Thanks!

14 replies
prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 8:57pm
post #2 of 15

I know I answered a post like this in the past. It was over a month ago. I don't have time to search for it right now, though.

jenncowin Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 10:45pm
post #3 of 15

I tried searching for pictures but so much came up I couldn't sort through it all, very over-whelming! (like my cake stuff!)

SJ169 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SJ169 Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 11:18pm
post #4 of 15

well I am at work at the moment so I can take any pictures but I can sort of tell you how I have things organized at the moment. I am still baking in my moms kitchen (waiting for my own)

I have one drawer that has all my impression mats (that are all in a big zip lock freezer bag), bake even strips, tooth picks, edible markers, airbrush.

The cabinet below this drawer has all of my pans.

I have one shelve in the pantry (its kind of like an L shape) that I have most of my ingredients (dry ones). I keep my kitchen aid in the original box on the floor of the pantry. (my mom hates "things" being left out on the counter) I have two medium size shoe boxes (clean ones) that I have all of my cookie cutters in (for the sets of cutters that i have such as circles and squares) i keep them in zip lock bags inside of the container. I also have one of those Wilton carrier containers (the blue one) that I keep all of my colors, luster dusts and other misc things.

I have a mini fridge that is in the garage that I keep all of my ingredients that need to be cold (milk, eggs, butter, icing etc..)

Lol I hope this kinda helps

Mizuki Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mizuki Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 11:40pm
post #5 of 15

This is what I keep most of my cake stuff in. It's huge, and it looks hideous in my dining room, but it works and I love it. It's worth every penny. thumbs_up.gif
LL

jenncowin Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 5:24pm
post #6 of 15

Thanks! I've looked at one of them at Sears, but hubby said not until he gets one!

Anybody else have any ideas/suggestions?

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 6:54pm
post #8 of 15

Something I have found is that you really have to consider what you have and what you need to store. Cakes are a hobby for me, but I literally have a room of nothing but cake stuff. Good thing I live alone and have the extra space. I have seen tons of great ideas on here on how to store this and that and so on, but it all comes down to what you need personally and the items you have.

I'd start by getting some cheap containers and sorting your items out. Figure out what you want to store together, and now much space you need for certain items. Then I'd take that information and look at different storage items, like the plastic drawer sets, tool boxes and so on. Think out side of the box. I've seen some scrapbooking storage stuff that would make good cake storage for some things. I've bought storage stuff in the past that I either out grew or figured out it wasn't that pracital for my needs.

Currently I have 3 big metal shelving units and have my stuff broken down into clear plastic containers of different sizes.

jillangel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jillangel Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 8:02pm
post #9 of 15

I love the plastic drawers on wheels by sterilite. I have many in all shapes and sizes. I also have a few large rubbermaid storage shelves and numerous single plastic containers and drawers to put stuff in.

MichelleM77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleM77 Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 8:24pm
post #10 of 15

I wish I had a picture to share........

We found extra room in our kitchen to expand a strangely built pantry. It doubled the size, making half of it my cookie stuff and the other just general pantry for the family. My dad had built a rack (like bakery rolling racks/bun racks, but not on wheels; it sat on a table) for me a year or so ago and we incorporated that idea into my half of the new pantry. So I have slots for about 7 or 8 (only have 5 trays currently) full size bun trays (18x26) that slide into place on top and then a place for a 12 drawer Rubbermaid-type drawer unit underneath (like prterrell posted in the link; the portable storage unit) where I keep tips/bags, colors and dusts, cookie bags, misc supplies, etc. There is also a shelf above where the racks slide in that I use to keep cake dummies, cake boxes, parchment paper, etc. It's not 100% finished (needs a coat of paint and doors) but it is a dream! I used to keep the rack on the dining room table (the only table in the house) so now we can eat at the table again which is another dream as family dinner time is very important to me. The supplies I don't use often are in Rubbermaid containers in another closet (cake pans, sprinkles, other cake supplies; I'm currently just doing cookies).

So look at what you currently have and see if you can expand on it. We had double the space for the pantry hiding in the walls and took advantage. All it took was two days of time and minimal cost for the wood shelves (we didn't need drywall or any other finishing supplies as the space was already done, just not done to be functional; previous homeowners did some strange things to this house!).

sugarandslice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarandslice Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 8:30pm
post #11 of 15

If space is an issue you might want to get what I use and that's a large (ish) plastic tool box. It has a load of little compartments on the top which hold my dusts, colours, veiners etc. Then inside it has a lift out tray with compartments where I put all my little things like tweezers, scissors, flower modelling tools, paint brushes, pizza cutter etc. Then the main compartment underneath the tray where I keep the bulkier things like smoothers, rolling pins etc.
I have slightly outgrown this and have to keep my cutters in a separate box, but the toolbox works really well for me as I have a small kitchen and 2 small children who want to get into everything so it's handy to be able to keep everything in one easily-transportable place. I can pick it up and move it out of reach quickly.
HTH

Brendabeeper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brendabeeper Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 8:51pm
post #12 of 15

So hubby says not till he gets one LOL ...buy a his and hers !

I have turned my guest room into my cake room. (sorry guest have to share with my cake MESS! I did stack two of the large plastic drawer units on top of each other on one side of the closet. In the drawers I store my colors, cutters, rollers, and tips. The larger drawers I have small pans . Next to that I put a small bookcase in the closet which I store extra cake mixes,all my books, & have a couple of clear shoe boxes with addtl tools and supplies in thers. I have also found a dresser at a yard sale. I put that in the corner of the guest room and it to is full of cake supplies. Now I have also gathered many of the Wilton cake pans. I have a cheap 4 shelf unit in the basement with the pans on the shelfs. Some are in a box on the shelf so I put a label on the box as to what pans are in that box.

KristyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KristyCakes Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 10:03pm
post #13 of 15

I use the wire square-grid storage shelves (Target). I also found great plastic, rectangular boxes with fold up lids and dividers in them for storing all of my colors. And, I love the little plastic nut/bolt slide drawers for my tips!

loulou2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loulou2 Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 10:23pm
post #14 of 15

I have the large rubbermaid drawers that can have wheels (I don't use them) on the top shelf of my pantry. The drawers are labelled so I don't have to search for a specific cake pan. I have a narrower stack with cookie cutters, candy molds & such. In a small one I (12x12 often used for scrapbook paper) I have cupcake papers, candy boxes etc. I have 2 of the tool type cases that has dividers for fondant cutters, crimpers, dusts, extra colors etc. My stuff is all labelled so it is easy to find but also easy for someone else to put away!!
Hope this helps-I love to be organized icon_biggrin.gif

jenncowin Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 11:13pm
post #15 of 15

Well, I finished organizing today. I already had one of the plastic towers with drawers, but bought a smaller one that will fit under the table that I do my decorating on. I have a bakers rack that I use as well and bought some more plastic containers and boxes to put stuff in. I went through everything, even threw away a few items that were duds and now each drawer and box is labeled with what it contains. I went through all of my cookie cutters and weeded out the duplicates (those will go to my neice) and seperated them into categories, each category is in it's own Ziploc bag and then they are in labeled drawers. It took me all day today and part of yesterday to get it done, but it was worth it. Now I'm ready to decorate a cake!

Thanks for the wonderful ideas!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%