suzie1962 Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 6:21pm
post #1 of

Hi: I need to make a cake for a good friends 50th birthday. She is really a "foodie" and wants a chocolate and raspberry cake. I would like to make something a little fancier than a standard chocolate cake with raspberry filling, but can't come up with any ideas. I would like it to be really fancy looking and have some great filling or fillings, like mousse or something along those lines? Does anyone have any ideas? TIA.

19 replies
KHalstead Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 7:54pm
post #2 of

I make a "raspberry cream" filling that is lighter like a mousse by adding 1/2 and 1/2 buttercream (or whipped icing works well too) and raspberry sleeve filling

As for the decorations...what about a chocolate mosaic cake with the shards of chocolate on the outside and maybe fill in around the top ledges with raspberries??
LL
LL

janebrophy Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 8:19pm
post #3 of

mmmm...those look so delicious!!

prterrell Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 8:21pm
post #4 of

Gateau Chocolat Framboise por Suzie1962:

Don't make a regular chocolate/Devil's food type cake, make chocolate genoise (make 3 layers).

Torte the layers and brush generously with a 50/50 mix of simple syrup and framboise (raspberry) eau de vie.

Make raspberry compote by mixing raspberries, sugar and a little lemon juice and mash up. Cook until thick and syrupy. Push through a chenoise to remove seeds. Finished compote needs to be about 1-1/2 cups.

Use 1/2 of the compote to fill the 3 torted sections of the cake (1/4 cup per layer).

Fold half of the other half of the raspberry compote into stabilized whipped cream to make raspberry mousse and use this to fill the cake.

So assembled, it is cake, compote, cake, mousse, cake, compote, cake, mousse, cake, compote, cake.

Optional: place fresh whole raspberries on the cake before filling with the mousse. Space raspberries evenly out, have at least the spaces between be as large as the berries themselves.

Make a dark chocolate ganache spiked with the framboise eau de vie and enrobe assembled cake and let set.

Decorate top of cake with large dark and white chococolate shards and fresh raspberries.

Take the remaining compote and thin with framboise eau de vie until it is a sauce consistency.

Make also a dark chocolate and a white chocolate sauce.

Flood/decorate dessert plates with the rasberry and chocolate sauces. Place slice of cake onto sauces. Garnish with fresh raspberries and mint sprig.

lara3teach Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 8:31pm
post #5 of
Quote:
Originally Posted by prterrell

Gateau Chocolat Framboise por Suzie1962:

Don't make a regular chocolate/Devil's food type cake, make chocolate genoise (make 3 layers).

Torte the layers and brush generously with a 50/50 mix of simple syrup and framboise (raspberry) eau de vie.

Make raspberry compote by mixing raspberries, sugar and a little lemon juice and mash up. Cook until thick and syrupy. Push through a chenoise to remove seeds. Finished compote needs to be about 1-1/2 cups.

Use 1/2 of the compote to fill the 3 torted sections of the cake (1/4 cup per layer).

Fold half of the other half of the raspberry compote into stabilized whipped cream to make raspberry mousse and use this to fill the cake.

So assembled, it is cake, compote, cake, mousse, cake, compote, cake, mousse, cake, compote, cake.

Optional: place fresh whole raspberries on the cake before filling with the mousse. Space raspberries evenly out, have at least the spaces between be as large as the berries themselves.

Make a dark chocolate ganache spiked with the framboise eau de vie and enrobe assembled cake and let set.

Decorate top of cake with large dark and white chococolate shards and fresh raspberries.

Take the remaining compote and thin with framboise eau de vie until it is a sauce consistency.

Make also a dark chocolate and a white chocolate sauce.

Flood/decorate dessert plates with the rasberry and chocolate sauces. Place slice of cake onto sauces. Garnish with fresh raspberries and mint sprig.




Now wiping the drool off the keyboard... icon_redface.gificon_biggrin.gif
This sounds absolutely delicious...I need a reason to make a cake and try this! Thank you for sharing! thumbs_up.gif

misterc Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 8:40pm
post #6 of

In my pics I have a white chocolate wedding wrap with dipped strawberries. You could do the same with regular chocolate and then insted of strawberries spread raspberries around the cake. Just an idea.

suzie1962 Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 9:07pm
post #7 of

WOW!! Thanks for the ideas. Those cakes are beautiful and the description of the genoise/raspberry cake/compote/mousse thing is amazing!! Thank you so much.

sweettoothmom1 Posted 1 Nov 2009 , 8:49pm
post #8 of

oh,any tips on the stabilized whipped cream for that dreamy cake? i've tried with gelatin but it leaves lumps of gelatin in the cream

prterrell Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 1:15pm
post #9 of

I use Dr. Oetker's Whip-It.

Mike1394 Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 1:31pm
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweettoothmom1

oh,any tips on the stabilized whipped cream for that dreamy cake? i've tried with gelatin but it leaves lumps of gelatin in the cream




Make sure you bloom gelatin, and melt in microwave.

Mike

janebrophy Posted 3 Nov 2009 , 2:27pm

Mike, what is this "blooming" of the gelatin? icon_smile.gif I have tried a few recipes using gelatin, some work, some don't, and now I think maybe I didn't bloom the gelatin, or at least I didn't do it properly??

Mike1394 Posted 3 Nov 2009 , 2:35pm
Quote:
Originally Posted by janebrophy

Mike, what is this "blooming" of the gelatin? icon_smile.gif I have tried a few recipes using gelatin, some work, some don't, and now I think maybe I didn't bloom the gelatin, or at least I didn't do it properly??




To bloom gelatin you let it sit in some COLD water. This kind of dissolves it, and soaks up the water/liquid. You can bloom it in any liqiud. I usually let it sit for a about 5 mins. If I'm doing a rasberry. I also add raspberry pucker to my cooking liquid. I just bloom it in some of that, and then add it to my sauce.

Mike

janebrophy Posted 3 Nov 2009 , 3:03pm

Thanks Mike, I think I've done this! icon_lol.gif I have never been aware of the temp of the water though...do you then have to let it solidify, and reheat before you use it, or can you use it right away? (sorry I didn't mean to hijack the thread)

Mike1394 Posted 3 Nov 2009 , 3:24pm
Quote:
Originally Posted by janebrophy

Thanks Mike, I think I've done this! icon_lol.gif I have never been aware of the temp of the water though...do you then have to let it solidify, and reheat before you use it, or can you use it right away? (sorry I didn't mean to hijack the thread)




Let it solidify, then for a whipping cream melt it in the microwave. If in a cooking liquid let the mixture come to a boil.

Mike

janebrophy Posted 3 Nov 2009 , 4:54pm

Thanks Mike!

Peridot Posted 3 Nov 2009 , 5:14pm

Mike...come on now...what's raspberry pucker??

sugalips Posted 3 Nov 2009 , 5:15pm

I like adding a little Godiva chocolate liqueur to my buttercream... or anything else!

Sweet_Treats_1 Posted 3 Nov 2009 , 5:53pm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peridot

Mike...come on now...what's raspberry pucker??



DeKuyper Raspberry Pucker
A burst of sweet raspberry flavors followed by a mouth puckering sour. Great chilled as a shot or in your favorite drink recipies. It sold sold in most ABC stores. DeKyuper is one brand, and it will make your mouth pucker.
LL

Mike1394 Posted 3 Nov 2009 , 7:54pm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet_Treats_1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peridot

Mike...come on now...what's raspberry pucker??


DeKuyper Raspberry Pucker
A burst of sweet raspberry flavors followed by a mouth puckering sour. Great chilled as a shot or in your favorite drink recipies. It sold sold in most ABC stores. DeKyuper is one brand, and it will make your mouth pucker.




Thank You.

Peridot Posted 3 Nov 2009 , 8:05pm

Thanks Sweet Treats! And thanks for the picture! Finding out something new everyday on this site. I must lead a very sheltered life!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%