Are You Getting The H1N1 Vacinne?

Lounge By sweetcravings Updated 28 Oct 2009 , 12:53pm by sweetcravings

sweetcravings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcravings Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 5:58pm
post #1 of 16

icon_confused.gif I was all ready to go out to get my shot and then my husband calls and says, "are you sure you want to get it? I'm hearing it's not tested enough. There is a woman who can't walk after receiving the shot etc.. " So he planned the seed of doubt in my head and i started researching online to make an educated decision...now i'm more confused then ever. Is it safe..is it not?????? ugh icon_confused.gificon_confused.gif

15 replies
Barb1959 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Barb1959 Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 6:01pm
post #2 of 16

I am not getting it. I gave my kids a flue shot just once - and they got sick. We have never gotten flu shots and never have a problem. My mother is 84 (in good health) She has never had a flu or pneumonia shot and only once do I ever remember her gettting the flu. I am not into putting all the "stuff" into my system. And your husband is right. They don't know all the effects of this shot yet.

Mensch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mensch Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 6:05pm
post #3 of 16

I have no idea if it is safe or not. I decided before the vaccination even came that I wasn't going to get one.

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 6:06pm
post #4 of 16

I have no medical backgroud, so take this for what it's worth:

Both my children, ages 5 and 7 (see avatar), had it a couple weeks ago. They were only sick for two days, and even then they weren't bedfast. They actually played and acted normal, just had a fever of about 101 +/-. I would not have given them the vaccine, though, just because I don't think it has been around long enough for us to know just what kind of affects can be associated with it.

My youngest had the regular flu a couple years ago and it was 10X worse than the H1N1 was. I think the common cold is even more irritating!

Then again, they are otherwise healthy. If there was another condition involved, such as asthma for example, it may not have been so easy for them.

AverageMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AverageMom Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 8:43pm
post #5 of 16

I am getting both the regular flu shot, and the H1N1 flu shot. My entire family is. For me, it is not worth it to get sick, or to have my children sick. I teach, Hubby teaches, and with two kids in school we see every germ in the city!
I am sure it is safe. Again, it is not worth it to me to put my children at risk of getting H1N1, when I can get them a vaccine.

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 9:53pm
post #6 of 16

remember, australia has aleady had their winter, and had the swine flu, and had the swine flu vaccine - with no more problems than there usually are with flu vaccines.

a lot of the bad reports are from a year or two ago when the vaccine was in the very early stages. since then the problems have been ironed out.

the vaccine is not entirely new - its just altered to target the right virus same as the seasonal flu jab, which is generally the same as last years, but altered to target this years virus.

the medical staff i know, in a range of jobs, are generally choosing to have the vaccine. those choosing not to, generally fall into the 'dont like any vaccinations anyway' camp.

i will be having it. i fall into the risk categories with asthma, and being in the young age group. plus i am working in a nursing home, already with several suspected cases in the staff - my area isnt testing, just assuming - and all viruses spread like wild fire in there. i figure (although i would be interested in the statistics if they are out there) the side effects of the jabs are better than getting the flu - and the complications it can bring.
xx

CakesByLJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByLJ Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 10:05pm
post #7 of 16

Absolutely... already have gotten them both; the regular flu and the H1N1 vaccine. I won't take the risk associated with not getting it.. My Grandson has asthma and I would never forgive myself if he contracted it from me.. he is being vaccinated also, as is the rest of our family.. icon_smile.gif

JodieF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JodieF Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 10:14pm
post #8 of 16

As someone who is just getting over H1N1, I'd get the vaccine!

Jodie

mbelgard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbelgard Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 10:30pm
post #9 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by brincess_b

the medical staff i know, in a range of jobs, are generally choosing to have the vaccine. those choosing not to, generally fall into the 'dont like any vaccinations anyway' camp.

My FIL is friends with a doctor who asked my MIL if I was getting them for the boys and told her to tell me that it's something we should do. I trust a doctor with years of experience far more than internet rumors so I'm planning on getting it for them.

My husband and I probably won't bother because we aren't in the risk groups. If we lived closer to my brother I would because his middle child has a heart defect and I wouldn't want to risk passing something to him.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 11:57pm
post #10 of 16

If I can find it! My daughter got it becasue I happened to take her to the doctor on a day when they had it available, but none of the rest of us have had it yet.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 12:07am
post #11 of 16

We all just got over h1n1, so I guess that means we don't need the vaccine. It didn't seem that bad for the kids...Val missed the whole week of school but part of that is that I don't send the kids back until they're totally better. DH and I had to have antibiotics because we both had a bad cough...we smoked for many years and just quit two years ago, maybe that's why it affected us so much.

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 2:00am
post #12 of 16

Taking 2 of my kids (hopefully) to the doc. tomorrow. I won't be surprised if they have it. Some of their friends and classmates tested positive. So far everything is ok other than a fever and a nasty cough. I gave them some over the counter kids meds and it seems to be helping with the fever/cough and pain.
I have a horrible reaction to the normal flu shot so I'm not allowed to get it. I'm afraid to let my kids get it because my reaction is so severe and I don't even want to take the risk of them having the same. This is not the norm though for most people.
Just do what you think is best.

Mensch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mensch Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 5:44am
post #13 of 16

Texas Rose---- congrats for quitting smoking!

itsmylife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
itsmylife Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 5:57am
post #14 of 16

I started a thread about this last week. I did get H1N1 about a month ago. Two rounds of antibiotics and various other meds & I'm finally better. I can't remember the last time I felt that bad....& I am not a weenie when it comes to getting sick.

I got the vaccine for both my kids last week. No side effects, no reactions for them. It's hard to make a good decision when you are trying to separate fact from fiction.

I ended up listening to & trusting the kids' pediatrician, my doctor, and a close family friend who has been a physician for 30 years. All three said to get them vaccinated.

KathysCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KathysCC Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 7:27am
post #15 of 16

There is already a thread covering this subject:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-656584.html

sweetcravings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcravings Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 12:53pm
post #16 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathysCC

There is already a thread covering this subject:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-656584.html