Ready For A Wedding Cake??

Decorating By Lovemesomecake Updated 27 Oct 2009 , 12:03am by prterrell

Lovemesomecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lovemesomecake Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 9:24pm
post #1 of 8

I've had several people ask me if i'd do their wedding cake and I continue to turn them down. icon_sad.gif I'm just WAAAAYYY too intimidated by the thought of doing a wedding cake!!! But then a part of me says, how will I know if I'm ready if I never try?! Right? But then I REALLY don't want to mess up someone's wedding!! EEK! How do you know when you're ready to take on such a big project????

7 replies
pupandbon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pupandbon Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 9:28pm
post #2 of 8

Okay - I looked at your pictures and I'm pretty confident when I say, "YOU ARE READY!!!". Just make sure to give yourself plenty of time and plan ahead and you'll be fine! Can't wait to see your first wedding cake!

PinkLisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkLisa Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 9:31pm
post #3 of 8

Your work is beautiful. I would say you're ready if you can handle the time involved and the business end of things. Good luck!

Ayanami Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ayanami Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 9:40pm
post #4 of 8

IMO, a wedding cake & a stacked cake are the same thing. You've already done stacked cakes, so really it's nothing different to make one in a wedding theme. Start small, like 3 tiers maybe, that way you don't feel completely overwhelmed. If a 3 tier is easy peasy for you then go ahead & push yourself to do bigger & better wedding cakes (4 -5 -6 tiers!)

Go for it! Your cakes look wonderful! icon_biggrin.gifthumbs_up.gif

OfficerMorgan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OfficerMorgan Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 9:42pm
post #5 of 8

Your cakes are pretty, and I think you could make lovely wedding cakes. But one thing you should look into is making your tiers taller. They are a little short and taller ones really make a huge difference.

Lovemesomecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lovemesomecake Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 9:43pm
post #6 of 8

Thanks for the compliments and encouragement!! Now, if I were to take on a wedding cake, what is the business involved? I mean, what do I need to do to cover all my bases? And another random question...does the florist decorate it w/ the flowers if they wanted flowers on it or is that my job?? I believe my florist decorated my cake w/ flowers, but I'm not sure if that is the norm...

PinkLisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkLisa Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 9:50pm
post #7 of 8

I'm just preparing to launch my business as well so am at the same point as you. Luckily I have my sister as a mentor. She's been making wedding cakes for over ten years. I also plan to focus on wedding cakes. The business things I'm considering (and I'm sure others already established can pipe in more here) insurance, contracts, pricing, down payments, website, other advertising, legalities (I assume you already have that covered). Those are the ones I can think of now.

My sister makes lots of cakes with fresh flowers on them and always has the florist deliver them to the venue. Then my sister puts them on when she delivers the cake.

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 12:03am
post #8 of 8

Checked your photos. Skill-wise you are absolutely there!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%