What Kind Of Fondant??

Decorating By lkoenig07 Updated 29 Oct 2009 , 2:20am by terrijproductions

lkoenig07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lkoenig07 Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 9:02pm
post #1 of 13

Ok... the only fondant I've ever used is Wilton. I want to try something new because it seems to crack & tear a lot. What kind do most of you use, or what kind do you recommend??

12 replies
prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 9:04pm
post #2 of 13

Wilton fondant is nasty stuff.

I use Satin Ice. Others here like Fondarific. Still others maker their own: marshmalow fondant (MMF) or Michele Foster's Fondant (MFF).

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 9:04pm
post #3 of 13

I think most people on here use either SatinIce or FondX.

PinkLisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkLisa Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 9:07pm
post #4 of 13

I have been sampling all the different types of fondant. Satin Ice works well and tastes good. Chocopan tastes great but is too soft for my hot hands. Pettinice tastes similar to Satin Ice to me. I haven't worked with it yet but plan to soon. I guess I need to buy some Fondx and Fondarific soon to give those a try.....

FullHouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FullHouse Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 9:22pm
post #5 of 13

I have tried Wilton (easiest to work with), Satin Ice (I had a very hard time with cracking, I know others have had issues as well, while many on here have no problems with it), MMF, and Michelle Foster's Fondant recipe. I prefer Michelle Foster's fondant and that is now all that I use (except for modeling figures, then I use Wilton mixed with Tylose unless I have extra Michelle Foster's made).

post #6 of 13

I have tried Wilton (easiest to work with), Satin Ice (I had a very hard time with cracking, I know others have had issues as well, while many on here have no problems with it), MMF, and Michelle Foster's Fondant recipe. I prefer Michelle Foster's fondant and that is now all that I use (except for modeling figures, then I use Wilton mixed with Tylose unless I have extra Michelle Foster's made).

post #7 of 13

diane706 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane706 Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 10:03pm
post #8 of 13

I really like Fondarific. It's more expensive than others but worth it for me. I've had a lot of issues with Satin Ice so I had to stop using it. I know others here like it though so it might just be trial and error for ya. thumbs_up.gif

Sweet_Guys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweet_Guys Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 12:08am
post #9 of 13

We use Fondarific and Satin Ice, depending upon the taste people are looking for. We use the colored, flavored fondants for decorations and centers for filled-chocolates.

Paul

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 12:14am
post #10 of 13

I use jennifermi's semi homemade chocolate fondant. The recipe is on her DVDs. Taste good and very easy to work with.

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 1:57pm
post #11 of 13

I love Jennifer Dontz's fondant. I also use Satin Ice and Fondx. I love how Satin Ice performs and how Fondx tastes.

icingimages Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icingimages Posted 29 Oct 2009 , 1:14am
post #12 of 13

I used Satin Ice for a little bit, then switched to Fondarific. I have found the Fondarific does not dry as fast. I also like that it seems to be a little bit greasy and so it doesnt get stuck, they say you dont have grease your mat. I also put Icing Images on them and they seem to grab the image easily and the merge with the image and the fondant allows for more flexability. I made a cake this week for my son and it was covered, draped heavily with Fondarific and I had many people walking around with a handful of the Fondarific commenting on how much they love it! Hope this helps!

terrijproductions Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terrijproductions Posted 29 Oct 2009 , 2:20am
post #13 of 13

I always make my own MMF. Easy to work with, relatively cheap, easy to make with store purchased ingredients (I don't have to order off a website or find a specialty store), and tastes better than any other fondant I've ever had. But I've also never tried using any of the other fondants that are mentioned by the others (except for Wilton, which I've only used for small decorations, not covering a cake) so I'm probably biased based on my own lack of experience. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%