Cake Help - Pix Attached

Decorating By meredith1851 Updated 26 Oct 2009 , 7:14pm by sadsmile

meredith1851 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
meredith1851 Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 6:58pm
post #1 of 5

Hi,
I attached a cake picture that someone wants me to replicate for the 13 yr olds bday. What is the best way to make those stars that are sticking up? Would fondant work and then should I use floral wire or toohpicks? If floral wire, what strength is best? Also, should I stick those into the cake right when I get to the persons house or should I be ok assembling at home? I juts want the starrs following over and making holes...
LL

4 replies
prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 7:02pm
post #2 of 5

I would use 20 gauge floral wire. Stars out of gumpaste. You could wait to stick them in, but I'd think they'd be fine stuck in ahead of time.

tatorchip Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tatorchip Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 7:07pm
post #3 of 5

I would use the 24g wire and you can insert coffee straws (cut to length) and insert in cake and then put the stars that are on the wires in each straw I did thick numbers in my candy barrell cake and had no problem and I did it before delivery with no problems HTH

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 7:08pm
post #4 of 5

I've made stars out of fondant. Used melted chocolate to attached them to the wire (no idea what size). Inserted into coffee stirrers in the fondant covered cake. however .... when I was setting up the cake, I was short a couple of coffee stirrers so I just inserted the wires thru the fondant. They stayed fine. I wouldn't do that in a BC cake as the BC isn't as firm as the fondant to hold it in place.

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 7:14pm
post #5 of 5

You could make the stars thicker and use lollipop sticks.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%