Crumb Coat

Decorating By TPACakeGirl Updated 26 Oct 2009 , 9:20pm by bakingatthebeach

TPACakeGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TPACakeGirl Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 5:42pm
post #1 of 6

How do I get a smooth crumb coat? I notice that mine is not smooth. It's sometimes lumpy? I really don't know how to describe it. I do a thin later with my spatula and scrape off the extra. I've even tried doing the VIVA thing on the coating just to smooth it out, it doesn't work. I can see it under my fondant. I would also like to know how to make sharp edges with my fondant.

Thanks.

5 replies
caseyhayes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
caseyhayes Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 5:57pm
post #2 of 6

I assume you mean crumb coat as in the coating of very thin icing that seals your crumbs in so you can ice your cake with the rest of your icing?

msulli10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msulli10 Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 6:03pm
post #3 of 6

The crumb coat doesn't have to be perfectly smoot. It's to lock in the crumbs so when you put on your next coat it won't lift up the crumbs. It's the second coat that you want to get perfectly smooth. I use a bench scraper and then a hot spatula to really get it smooth. It's a combination of Toedna's method and Sugarshack's method. There are some good tutorials on Youtube.

TPACakeGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TPACakeGirl Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 6:16pm
post #4 of 6

It's just that the cakes I see on television have a nice smooth crumb coat before the fondant is applied. Mine don't look like the ones on Ace of Cakes.

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 7:06pm
post #5 of 6

Is your cake even?
How thick is the icing you are applying?
Is the icing properly mixed?
Using a scraper (bench or bowl, I prefer the bowl scraper) will really help.

bakingatthebeach Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakingatthebeach Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 9:20pm
post #6 of 6

I think they have a little thicker crumb coat prior to adding the fondant than you would normally have when you are just crumbcoating to apply buttercream. Just guessing.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%