Dummy Cakes

Decorating By cakepanpam Updated 28 Oct 2009 , 12:17pm by JenniferMI

cakepanpam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakepanpam Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 3:00pm
post #1 of 5

I have seen several cakes on her made from a dummy cake. I know that they are made from styrofoam and fondant but what do you use to stick the fondant on? Is it actually icing? If so how long will the dummy cake last?

4 replies
Amylou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amylou Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 3:47pm
post #2 of 5

A light mist of water will do the trick fine, especially if you want to pull it off and re-use the dummy. Others use piping gel, icing, crisco...but water is free!

Dummies last a long time, the only thing you need to worry about is color fading (from light) if you want to keep it.

deliciously_decadent Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deliciously_decadent Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 8:22am
post #3 of 5

do not use water!!!! if you intend on jeeping them for periods of time the bacteria between the layers witll eventually grow mould and discolour the fondant, vodka is the best thing to stick fondant to dummies, it dienfects, evaporates, fondant does not absorb it like it will water which will make you fondant start to break down, and you wont get any scary bacteria growning between the layers!!!!

dsilvest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dsilvest Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 8:39am
post #4 of 5

I only make dummy cakes and use a light misting of water to stick the fondant to the styrofoam. I have never had a problem with mould. The key is using just a bit of water. Some of my cakes have been sitting for 2 years with just a plastic bag covering it to keep the dist off and there has been no discolouration.

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 12:17pm
post #5 of 5

A light coating of clear piping gel works very nice as well.

They keep for a VERY long time. Keep in the dark and out of humidity. You will have to dust them every so often, too. The light will fade them in time....

Jen icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%