Help! Need Help With Icing Color!

Decorating By tugboat Updated 27 Oct 2009 , 3:08pm by jenncowin

tugboat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tugboat Posted 25 Oct 2009 , 1:28pm
post #1 of 7

I am trying to make a blue color not too dark but I used Wilton's Sky Blue color and I guess I put too much in it because it made a dark teal color...how to I lighten it up to a regular blue color?

6 replies
CakeMommyTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMommyTX Posted 25 Oct 2009 , 1:42pm
post #2 of 7

You'll just have to add more white icing.
But instead of adding white to the blue start a new bowl of white and add a little of the blue icing at a time until you get the right color.
You can freeze any leftover of the other blue color until you need it.

tracey1970 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracey1970 Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 1:26am
post #3 of 7

I haven't tried this ... but would Wilton White-White color work to tone down the blue?

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 3:01am
post #4 of 7

It would, but would also make the icing too thin. Better to do CakeMommy's method.

CakeMommyTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMommyTX Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 2:49pm
post #5 of 7

I used to use the Wilton White every now and then but it leaked once in my color drawer and I don't know what that stuff is made of because it was impossible to clean up.
It was like a greasy glue that just would'nt come up, there is still a residue left on the bottom of my drawer.
Ever since then I don't use it, if I can't even clean it up with 409 then I don't want to eat it!

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 2:57pm
post #6 of 7

I've noticed that when I lighten colored icing with the white white stuff it makes the icing fade later on........like hours after the cake is decorated. IF it's in any type of light whatsoever it will fade and NOT evenly either. do what CakeMommy suggested and get a fresh bowl of white icing and add small amounts of your already tinted blue icing to it, and remember after about 10min. the icing will darken a shade or so as well. So better off making it a shade lighter than you want the end result, but then again I'm sure you knew that (your cake in your avatar is beautiful by the way)

jenncowin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenncowin Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 3:08pm
post #7 of 7

The White-White is great to make white icing a stark white, but it also aids in preventing a color from going darker or brighter than you want. It sort of stops the "curing" process. It also helps keep the darker colors from bleeding onto the lighter ones. I'm not a fan of the Wilton White-White, but do like the ChefMaster or Americolor.

I do agree with CakeMommy, start with a new bowl of white and add what you have mixed up already a bit at a time until you get the color desired.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%