Securing Gumpaste Flowers To Cake? Leave On Wire, Yes/no?

Decorating By springlakecake Updated 28 Oct 2009 , 10:25pm by leah_s

springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 24 Oct 2009 , 12:08pm
post #1 of 11

I will be making a tropical themed cake and have committed myself to making some gumpaste flowers for it. I have little experience with gumpaste flowers! I'll be making hibiscus, calla, and some plumeria. Anyway do I leave the flowers on the wires and stick them into something and then into the cake? Or should I clip the wires off and just set them onto the cake? I am planning to put them in little bunches on top of the cake and on top of the tiers (not to the sides of the cake). Like for example the way my avatar has the bows...except pretend they are flowers. This is new for me...I have no idea. thanks

10 replies
Sweet_Guys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweet_Guys Posted 24 Oct 2009 , 12:22pm
post #2 of 11

One idea I got from Nicholas Lodge was to put a straw into your cake at the angle you wanted and then stick the flowers into the straw. In essence, the wire is now not touching the cake.

Paul

springlakecake Posted 24 Oct 2009 , 12:26pm
post #3 of 11

that is kind of what I was thinking...thanks

Lita829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lita829 Posted 24 Oct 2009 , 12:48pm
post #4 of 11

I posted a similar question about 3 weeks ago. I was advised by different CCers that some people use straws, flower spikes, or dip the wires in chocolate (and allowing it to harden) before inserting them in the cake. I decided to try the chocolate method and it worked well.

Just passing it on icon_smile.gif
HTH

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 24 Oct 2009 , 8:30pm
post #5 of 11

I tend to hand wire, which means twist them together like a corsage. Make sure all wires are covered with floral tape. This method, they can pickup the arrangement all in one piece and save it.

Jen icon_smile.gif

springlakecake Posted 24 Oct 2009 , 8:58pm
post #6 of 11

Thanks a lot, I'll try that!

milkmaid42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milkmaid42 Posted 24 Oct 2009 , 10:09pm
post #7 of 11

I have had success with making a small, domed plaque of gumpaste into which I insert the flower's wires while it is still soft. You can hide the plaque with filler flowers. Let dry before placing on the cake. The whole thing can be removed and saved.

deliciously_decadent Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deliciously_decadent Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 8:36am
post #8 of 11

two options, wrap the ends in florists tape and insert straight inot the cake and glue with royal icing or createa boquet with a stryro pice as the center for insertion. for the top i usually use a styro ball cut in half pureely as it is easier to handle and remove, for cascades or sides i insert straight into the cake (after taping with florists wire)

Normita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Normita Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 7:42pm
post #9 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by deliciously_decadent

two options, wrap the ends in florists tape and insert straight inot the cake and glue with royal icing or createa boquet with a stryro pice as the center for insertion. for the top i usually use a styro ball cut in half pureely as it is easier to handle and remove, for cascades or sides i insert straight into the cake (after taping with florists wire)

Thanks for the info icon_smile.gif I thought we couldn't insert florist tape into the cake...I had heard this from previous threads here that florists tape is not considered food safe and should not be inserted into the cake icon_confused.gif Is there a special kind of florist tape that you use or will any kind do?

deliciously_decadent Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deliciously_decadent Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 9:11pm
post #10 of 11

in australia we use this all the time. thats how we insert fresh roses and things into the cake unless it is different here, ours is considered food safe

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 10:25pm
post #11 of 11

I use reg floral tape all the time. Also if you want to buy the flowers (cheap and beautiful) www. avalon deco .com Take out the spaces, of course.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%