14In Cake On A 18In Cake Drum?????

Decorating By ranbel Updated 23 Oct 2009 , 11:41pm by costumeczar

ranbel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ranbel Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 11:16pm
post #1 of 4

Can you lift 18in cake drum (the silver ones) with a 14in and 10in stacked on top. I am delivery this in the morning and someone else is going to finish setting it up. They will finish the top tier on site. The top tier will be on pillars, that's why the cake won't be fully constructed.

I don't want to pick up on the sides and it buckle in the middle on me. I will be using the sps systems as well.

3 replies
costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 11:25pm
post #2 of 4

I do this all the time, but I don't use the Wilton drums. If you're using those, be careful, because they're a lot flimsier than the ones that I use normally. I had a girl trade me some Wilton ones for a diferent size, and when I tried to use the Wilton ones I was shocked at how bendy they are.

ranbel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ranbel Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 11:37pm
post #3 of 4

Not sure is it is a wilton brand or not. I purchased it from my local cake supply store. He does carry some wilton stuff, but not a lot.

Hopefully it nots. I think I'll got to his website and see if it has a brand name.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 11:41pm
post #4 of 4

Just take the drum and try to bend it. If it twists or gives way any, it's probably too weak. The ones that I use aren't any specific brand that I know of, they just don't bend. The Wilton ones I had were weak and wiggly, I wouldn't trust them to hold a really heavy cake.

I put stacked 14", 10" and 6" cakes on the silver drums all the time, and they're really heavy but they drums hold them.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%