A Couple Of Newby Questions

Decorating By MammaG Updated 24 Oct 2009 , 2:26am by JanH

MammaG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MammaG Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 10:25pm
post #1 of 5

i'm extremely new, and here are a couple of things I wasn't sure about with the few cakes I've made so far:

1) What do you set the cake on while decorating? I used wax paper because that was on hand, but I felt like it needed to be on something for easier moving and transfer, but then I didn't know what to do with it.

2) How do you spread icing without it getting all the crumbs in it?

3) My MMF looked like it was melting, but in the refrigerator it gets really hard and dry. What's the secret? And someone told me you can't really do anything with MMF except cover the cake.

Thanks for your patience with me as I'm very extremely new.

4 replies
pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 10:38pm
post #2 of 5

Each cake should be on its own cake board.
Chill cake before icing so as not to get crumbs in icing or do crumb coat first, then a thicker coating after crumb coat sets up
I don't like mmf, I use MFF, it is great and easy to work with. I also don't put fondant in fridge
Good luck and welcome

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 10:39pm
post #3 of 5

Hi, welcome to CC!

First, you should put the cake on a cake board. That can either be cardboard circles that you buy, or foamcore board that you cut to size.

Second, to ice the cake without crumbs, thin some of your frosting a little bit and spread it over the cake, letting the crumbs get mixed up in the frosting. Let it harden and then spread a thicker coat of frosting over it. The crumb coat will glue down the crumbs so they don't show in the second coat.

If you live somewhere really humid and don't run the AC, MMF can look like it's wet, and get too soft to work with easily. I've had that happen before when I was trying to do a cake and my air conditioner broke. If the humidity isn't the problem, then you may need to adjust the recipe. Usually, unless you have a filling that requires refrigeration, you wouldn't want to store the cake in the fridge after the MMF is on. You also don't want to store it in an airtight container, the moisture from the cake will melt the MMF.

You can make things out of MMF...I make flowers and bows and stuff like that all the time. It takes a lot longer to dry than gumpaste, but it does eventually dry.

MammaG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MammaG Posted 24 Oct 2009 , 2:17am
post #4 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by pattycakesnj

Each cake should be on its own cake board.
Chill cake before icing so as not to get crumbs in icing or do crumb coat first, then a thicker coating after crumb coat sets up
I don't like mmf, I use MFF, it is great and easy to work with. I also don't put fondant in fridge
Good luck and welcome

I don't know what MFF is.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 24 Oct 2009 , 2:26am
post #5 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by MammaG

I don't know what MFF is.

Michele Foster's Fondant:

http://cakecentral.com/recipes/3663/michele-fosters-delicious-fondant

Everything you need to know to make, decorate and assemble tiered/stacked/layer cakes:

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopic-605188-.html

HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%