Is Copper Food Safe?

Decorating By korkyo Updated 22 Oct 2009 , 11:36pm by korkyo

korkyo Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 7:34pm
post #1 of 9

It's used for water lines. Would it be safe for cake structures?

8 replies
Texas_Rose Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 7:38pm
post #2 of 9

Should be...copper pans, copper cookie cutters, copper molds, etc...but maybe one of the experts will weigh in on it icon_biggrin.gif

__Jamie__ Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 7:38pm
post #3 of 9

It's also used for utensils, mixing bowls, serving dishes, cookie cutters, jello molds....of course it's food safe.

Mike1394 Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 7:50pm
post #4 of 9

The only thing I would watch out for is lemons, limes, the highly acidic foods. There could be a chemical reaction. Nothing toxic they just might turn green.


korkyo Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 8:35pm
post #5 of 9

Ok so far so good. What about the soddering (sp) conections? I'm making for my antler forms. The packaing for the sodder says it can cause problems. icon_eek.gif

Mabe if I cover that part in floral tape?

yeastconfection Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 8:58pm
post #6 of 9

Acidic foods and liquids cause the copper salts to leach out of the metal
and into the food item. This results in acute copper poisoning.

Principle features of poisoning by ingested copper compounds have been:
- gastrointestinal irritation, abdominal pain and diarrhea, sometimes with
-headache, sweating, weakness, and sometimes shock
-liver enlargement and jaundice
-destruction of red cells and presence of abnormal hemoglobin
-elevated levels of albumin (a form of protein) in urine, hemoglobin in
the urine and sometimes acute renal failure.

Trace amounts of copper are needed in our diet, particularly in the
formation of hemoglobin. It is also believed to have some benefit (by
some) with the immune system. It takes very little excess though to cause

Solder is made with lead so that's a problem too......I suggest you go with the copper and lead solder for your antlers and cover the whole thing in chocolate or whatever medium your using but don't allow your guests to eat food that was in direct contact with the copper or solder.

__Jamie__ Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 9:01pm
post #7 of 9

Yeah, I wouldn't chance it with the solder.

korkyo Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 9:14pm
post #8 of 9

That answers that question! Thanks!

korkyo Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 11:36pm
post #9 of 9

I did find out that there is a lead free solder.


Quote by @%username% on %date%