Brown Or Black Trick Please?!!

Decorating By Destin77 Updated 21 Oct 2009 , 11:18pm by prterrell

Destin77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Destin77 Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 7:15pm
post #1 of 7

How are you managing to create a dark brown or black color decorative iciging without having and horrible taste.

I use the Wilson gel colors.. and it seem I have to put 2/3 pack to get to the right color..

they say on the pack no taste.. but trust me after 2/3 pack.. it does taste real bad..

6 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 7:21pm
post #2 of 7

As long as chocolate will go with what you're working on, make chocolate frosting, then you only have to add a little color to turn it black.

Jopalis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jopalis Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 7:25pm
post #3 of 7

also try Americolors when you can. They come in a Super Black. You need less. Starting out with chocolate helps too.

emlashlee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emlashlee Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 7:27pm
post #4 of 7

With black, I always color it any dark color first, then add my black Wilton gel. You still end up using less, I think. Last night I made a batch of black MFF. I first used a little bit of burgandy and teal to make it dark (colors I don't use too often), then added a little bit of black and it turned out great.

cashley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cashley Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 7:32pm
post #5 of 7

Americolor super black you hardly need any color at all.

TheBlonde Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheBlonde Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 11:05pm
post #6 of 7

Definitely Americolor super black. I bought a starter kit of the americolors and I will NEVER go back to wilton. And remember, the color will darker overnight. If you look at my two halloween cakes in my pictures you will see that they look really black. Well, they looked gray when I iced them but overnight they turned to black...

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 11:18pm
post #7 of 7

Also, avoid designs where large areas of the cake are going to be covered in the darker colors. It's much easier to color a small amount of frosting. I try to limit colors like red and black to accents only. The other reason being that if the cake is iced in black, everyone's mouth is going to be very interestingly colored after they eat the cake. Doesn't make for nice photos.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%