Baby Shower Cake...help On Design Please

Decorating By singinglark Updated 21 Oct 2009 , 9:15pm by playingwithsugar

singinglark Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
singinglark Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 4:19pm
post #1 of 8

I have been asked to do a baby shower cake. I was asked to design the cake to match the invite...the original one was fun and I had a great cake designed. Then they changed the invite and now I am redesigning...UGH! So, I have some ideas started but just can't seem to get anything I like.

The first picture is the invitation. The first cake is pretty basic but I just feel like it is missing something. The second cake has a transfer sheet with baby designs but still fill like it is missing something. I did it offset and was thinking of putting a gumpaste baby carriage figure...but don't know how to make that (I'm a newbie!).

Anyone have thoughts or suggestions?
LL
LL
LL

7 replies
KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 4:25pm
post #2 of 8

I love the first cake photo (aimeecake2) the best......very pleasing to the eye and incorporates the invite very well.

Is the cake icing going to be gray?

singinglark Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 4:52pm
post #3 of 8

No - the pictures show up funky here - it is a light brown.

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 6:30pm
post #4 of 8

I like the first one better. Are those invitations eco-friendly? I'm wondering because I think that brown a strange color for a baby shower. No offense to you, but it reminds me of a grocery bag.

If you decide to go with the second design, then change the band around the bottom of the middle tier to a different color, maybe the purple. The blue on blue washes out.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 6:39pm
post #5 of 8

I like the first one better too.

I think I would do the band on the middle tier in the lime green, and make a bow on the top to match.

To make the little stripes in the bands, there's a tool called a herb mincer that will cut perfect strips like that. I bought one at Target a couple years ago for $5.

playingwithsugar Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 6:44pm
post #6 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Rose

I like the first one better too.

I think I would do the band on the middle tier in the lime green, and make a bow on the top to match.

To make the little stripes in the bands, there's a tool called a herb mincer that will cut perfect strips like that. I bought one at Target a couple years ago for $5.

I have one of those, too. I use it to cut quilling strips.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

singinglark Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 9:01pm
post #7 of 8

Thanks! I agree...the color is bad but not my choice. I am thinking the first one too...fits the invite more. I like the idea of the different color band on the middle and the bow - but I SUCK at making bows. Maybe if I practice I can get it.

Here was the original design - they asked me to do an invite first so I did the invite then designed the cake around it - then they found the other invite and decided to go with that...

For some reason in the pictures the quilted design doesn't show up...but the green in the invite looks quilted and then the green cakes would be quilted. I would have made replicas of the owls and chics out of fondant/gumpaste.

BUT...ALAS...they chose the brown one..YUCK!
LL
LL

playingwithsugar Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 9:15pm
post #8 of 8

Given those two choices, I would go with the first invitation and design, also. The second invitation has colors like the walls of a school or hospital that was built in the early 1900's.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%