Flower Storage Suggestions

Decorating By Lenette Updated 21 Oct 2009 , 4:11pm by Lenette

Lenette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lenette Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 3:24pm
post #1 of 5

I need to make 140 fondant roses. I have only done this one time before so please send me good wishes.

Any tips on how to store these for about a week or so? TIA! icon_smile.gif

4 replies
KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 3:29pm
post #2 of 5

get a plastic shoe box (dark colored one is better than clear to keep sunlight OUT so the colors don't fade), and layer the flowers.....I put them on sheetcake cardboards cut to fit inside the box, then I use little side dish plastic cups (like you get salad dressing in at restaurants) that I get from our local party store as spacers (put one in each corner) then add another layer of cardboard, more roses, 4 more cups in the corners, another layer of cardboard, etc.

Since you have so many roses to do, you might just get yourself one of those rubbermaid containers with a lid. The lid is more for keeping dust and hair off of the flowers than for making them air tight. The longer they sit, the stiffer they will get but the inside still stays soft and chewy....I've had some for a couple months that still tasted great!

leahk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leahk Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 3:43pm
post #3 of 5

Make sure your container is not airtight! I learned this the hard way when I made some callas since I had time, and then when I went to use them, they were moldy icon_sad.gif

zdebssweetsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zdebssweetsj Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 3:53pm
post #4 of 5

When I have a large amount to do I lay them out on 1/2 sheet pans and lightly cover with plastic wrap , not airtight, just enough to keep dust off. I do the same with buttercream roses but then I freeze them.

Lenette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lenette Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 4:11pm
post #5 of 5

Thank you, that gives me a couple of options! icon_smile.gif

If I can bug you with a few more ???s please--

How long would you guesstimate it would take to do these? I mean reasonably with time to eat and sleep. I am not avery experienced so not the fastest in the world.

Also, I will need to stick them to a dummy. Would it be wiser to put them on toothpicks or something as I am making them or will they hold to the dummy with some royal?

Thank you so much for your help!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%