Construction For 3D Stand Up Cake?

Decorating By lea74 Updated 21 Oct 2009 , 3:17pm by milmil95

lea74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lea74 Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 12:18pm
post #1 of 4

Hi there, I was asked to do 3D stand up cake of Tasha from Backyardigans show. I don't have experience with these types of cake. Are they difficult to make? I assume I would need to make a custom base with some "pipes" for legs. Should I make the head from rice krispies? what about arms? Also how do I attach the rice krispie head and arms to the body? Sorry for all the questions I just don't want to bite off more than I can chew.

TIA

3 replies
Malakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Malakin Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 2:26pm
post #2 of 4

Wow, I looked at Tasha's pic online. Definitely needs pvc pipe for legs, board on top of that for cake. I remember seeing something like this on Ace of Cakes and they also have to use pvc for arms. As far as the head, I'm not even sure if you did use RKT for that, if it still wouldn't fall off because of the way the nose and head go forward on the body. That's a lot of weight even with RKT. Hope someone else can help

lea74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lea74 Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 3:06pm
post #3 of 4

Malakin, thank you for your reply....you are right about the heaviness of the head - I haven't even thought about that. I guess I'll just have to say no to this cake. Thanks again!

milmil95 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milmil95 Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 3:17pm
post #4 of 4

There's nothing that says the head has to be edible. To make it lighter you can use a Styrofoam ball, carved in the shape you need and covered in fondant. That way you get the look you want without stressing over the weight. Craft stores and Walmart carry them. Styrofoam is also very supportive. I use it for bases for my cars, so they are raised up and the wheels are in the correct position.
Hope this helps!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%