I Am Such A Pushover!

Business By Starkie Updated 23 Oct 2009 , 7:28am by OfficerMorgan

Starkie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Starkie Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 12:47am
post #1 of 18

Okay, a lady calls me last weekend (Saturday) while I was on vacation (Disney) with my family. Her original cake decorator is sick (surgery) and she needs a cake for her wedding ~ 2 weeks away! Okay, I feel sorry for her, so I say I'll do it. I will e-mail you a contract, and you need to put a check in the mail immediately so I get it when I get home the following Saturday. Well, I never get a response to my e-mail (to answer my questions I didn't ask when she called) and there is no check or contract in the mail when I get home. So, trying to be nice, I e-mailed on Sunday to say, hey, haven't heard from you, do you still want the cake. She e-mails me back saying yes, she wants the cake, but her MIL will be paying for it, is that okay? (Uh, money is money, honey!) She says she will call me in the morning. Monday morning turns in to Monday night, and still no call. I think, okay, no cake. Tuesday morning she calls and leaves a message. I call back and leave a message ~ no cash today, no cake on Saturday. She finally calls me back at 8 pm tonight and wants to meet with me tomorrow! I say, sorry, I really needed to shop for your cake and make your gumpaste bow TODAY. She says her mother has been sick, and can she bring the money tonight. She'll come to my house as soon as her mother (isn't she sick?) comes home from shopping with her daughter.

Well, being the pushover that I am, I cave in, telling her that I will be in bed by 9:30 ~ be here before then! She says she'll be right over. So I'm going to bed in 45 minutes, and she's not here yet. Will I even have the ability to please this lady?

17 replies
costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 12:52am
post #2 of 18

No, and you shouldn't do the cake since you figured that out! She'll just find something to complain about, or her check will go boing boing boing as it bounces.

cakeandpartygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeandpartygirl Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 12:57am
post #3 of 18

Wow, pleasing this lady is the least of your problems. I wouldn't make anything unless she brings me the cash by the time you go to bed or else someone won't have a cake.

-Tubbs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-Tubbs Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 1:06am
post #4 of 18

Wow, if you decide to proceed, it's cold, hard cash only, right?!

Good luck with this one.

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 1:10am
post #5 of 18

I'd turn off the lights and go to bed right now.............run to that bedroom.
icon_lol.gif

Seriously cash only at this point and you're very nice to even be taking this order at such a late date.

Good luck!

beanbean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beanbean Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 1:18am
post #6 of 18

I hate to be cynical, but I doubt her original decorator had to cancel because she is sick. Sounds like she didn't pay her on time either and that is why the order got axed. Please do not extend this drama any further. Stick to your plan...cash in hand tonight - paid in full! or NO CAKE!!!!

CakeForte Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeForte Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 1:19am
post #7 of 18

Do it or don't, but no posts next about how this turned out bad for you. This story never changes....why do you think yours will have a different ending?

ttehan4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ttehan4 Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 1:26am
post #8 of 18

Ouch - that was harsh cakeforte...lol! We all have heard the same story over and over, yet we all go through the drama and take the chance of getting paid for doing what we love.

Starkie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Starkie Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 1:34am
post #9 of 18

Well, she showed up with cash, after calling a couple times because she was lost. We'll see what happens! I did make her sign a contract waiving me from just about anything going wrong! And CakeForte, I hear you ~ my husband says the same thing... I don't want to hear it if she complains 2 weeks after the wedding! Wish me luck on this one!

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 1:36am
post #10 of 18

I'm definitely sending you some good caker vibes!

Good luck.......I'm glad she showed up with cash.

CakeForte Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeForte Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 1:38am
post #11 of 18

I'm sorry!...meant it as more "damned if you do/damned if you don't". Not "Dont ever post about it ever" type of tone. Internets...lol.

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 1:47am
post #12 of 18

Well I'm glad she showed up with the money and signed a contract!

sarahnash_14 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarahnash_14 Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 1:47am
post #13 of 18

I haven't had any experience dealing with paying customers but I thought I'd just put in my two cents icon_smile.gif It's not only the late date that's disturbing but also the fact that she keeps committing and canceling (or delaying). Not once, but a couple of times. Chances are, she'd do that a couple more times AFTER you transact with her, with her payment nonetheless.

Also, it was much too nice of you to wait for her up to 9:30pm. I wouldn't. In general, any work after office hours is a no-no for me. You don't call up your florist at 9:30 in the evening and demand that they start working on a bouquet you need, right?

cakeandpartygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeandpartygirl Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 1:55am
post #14 of 18

I am glad that she showed up. Get some rest cause you have some caking to do. I hope that this cake comes out wonderful for you!!

-Tubbs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-Tubbs Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 2:28am
post #15 of 18

Sounds like you have all the bases covered. Hope the cake goes well, and enjoy the extra money!! thumbs_up.gif

Pookie59 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pookie59 Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 2:57pm
post #16 of 18

I probably wouldn't make it in the cake business if it means you have to constantly email, call, etc. because the customer won't be responsible do what they are supposed to do. Sheesh! Do they want the cake or not?

In my mind, if you say "I need the contract, payment, design by this day," and that day comes and goes and you haven't heard from them or they can't seem to get the money/info to you, then stick to your guns and cancel the order and do not lose any sleep over it. No way should you chase after customers. They aren't going to respect you when it seems like you're desperate for their business and will likely try to wiggle out of paying for it. Let those kind go somewhere else.

mommabuda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommabuda Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 5:41pm
post #17 of 18

This happened to me once with a couple for a wedding cake. They came over, picked out their design, signed a contract and I gave them the date that they needed the payment to me by. That day came and went. I sent out a letter the next day (certified) telling them that I would be unable to do the cake since it was not paid in full by the correct date. Low and behold, I got the payment THAT day. I still did not do it. I sent their check back to them and kept the down payment. They threw a stink about the down payment so I sent half back. It was a lot of stress on my part but I stuck to my guns. These people need to learn a lesson and I don't care if I had to teach it to them.

OfficerMorgan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OfficerMorgan Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 7:28am
post #18 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeForte

Do it or don't, but no posts next about how this turned out bad for you. This story never changes....why do you think yours will have a different ending?

Bravo!!! thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%