Easy Frosting To Decorate Cookies That Actually Tastes Good!

Baking By pebblez87 Updated 21 Oct 2009 , 9:24pm by luv2bake6

pebblez87 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pebblez87 Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 7:45pm
post #1 of 13

ok last year out of quickness and desparation i bought the bags of betty crocker frosting they have a little tip already sealed onto the bag. I liked the consistancy and the shine to it and it wasnt a pure sugar taste. Well this year i hope to make my own for the fact i will have time and i want more than red white green blue . I see alot of people use royal icing and im not sure if its pregnant taste buds but holy crap it tastes blah, i wouldnt want to be enjoying a cookie with that bitter sugar taste. So is there any other options that can go threw a bag and i guess taste good while giving me that hardening ability? Am i asking too much ? icon_cry.gif

12 replies
ButtacreamRose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ButtacreamRose Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 2:34am
post #2 of 13

Have you tried Toba Garretts glace ? Its all I use.

cookie_fun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookie_fun Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 2:45am
post #3 of 13

I make RI, but I doctor it up with one TBL of butter and one TSP of butter flavoring and one TSP of vanilla. The butter softens the RI a little tiny bit so that you don't get that rock hard coating, but still firm enough to stack your cookies easily.
The flavoring helps get rid of that blah sugar/bitter flavor.

Good luck and happy baking! icon_biggrin.gif

newmansmom2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newmansmom2004 Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 2:47am
post #4 of 13

I was never a big fan of royal icing until I started putting just a little pure lemon flavoring in it. Since I also add a little lemon flavor to my sugar cookie recipe, they go together really well. Not overwhelmingly lemony, but just a slight hint that's fresh and clean tasting.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 2:49am
post #5 of 13

I add vanilla to my RI (the recipe I use doesn't list any flavoring at all! bleck!). The MP adds a slight bitter taste ... is that maybe what you're tasting?

andpotts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
andpotts Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 3:17am
post #6 of 13

I am devoted to Toba's Glace, it is easy to make and use and it taste good. I don't know if most corn syurp comes with flavoring, but the one I buy had vanilla already added and the glace is so good on the NFSC.

If you do decide to try the glace just make sure to add about 20 drops of white food coloring to the big batch before you seperate and color and make sure your cookies dry in a not cold place, I do those things after learning them here and I have great results every time!
Andrea

Jopalis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jopalis Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 4:23am
post #7 of 13

I had an awful time with Toba's glace. I couldn't get it right so it wasn't so runny/messy. I would welcome any tips or ideas how to make it work. Thanks.

GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 12:39pm
post #8 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jopalis

I had an awful time with Toba's glace. I couldn't get it right so it wasn't so runny/messy. I would welcome any tips or ideas how to make it work. Thanks.

If you don't like the consistency, the icing is incredible easy to modify. To thicken, just add more powdered sugar. If it's too thick, add more corn syrup. Don't be scared to play with it! It's all I use to decorate my cookies.

Jopalis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jopalis Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 3:30pm
post #9 of 13

Seriously Gemini? The owls, the movie tickets, ...? icon_surprised.gif Your cookies are amazing! You get that kind of detail with Toba's glace? Do you use a different consistency for outlining and details than the flooding consistency? Squeeze bottles with different tips? Maybe I will try again but I really wanted to try and get some of my Halloween cookies to look nice... Do you do the same 10 second rule for flooding? Thanks!!!

galliesway Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
galliesway Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 3:37pm
post #10 of 13

Would you mind sharing your RI recipe indydebi?

TIA

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 4:01pm
post #11 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by galliesway

Would you mind sharing your RI recipe indydebi?

TIA

It's pretty basic. My notes show that I got it from a website of "Sugarbaker's" but I didnt' save the website address, so I can't give proper credit.

3.75 cups sifted p.sugar
3 Tbsp merinque powder
6 Tbsp warm water

I add clear vanilla (I just pour .... I dont' measure) and I usually need to add lots more water than the 6 Tbsp. It says it makes 3 cups of icing.

GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 5:14pm
post #12 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jopalis

Seriously Gemini? The owls, the movie tickets, ...? icon_surprised.gif Your cookies are amazing! You get that kind of detail with Toba's glace? Do you use a different consistency for outlining and details than the flooding consistency? Squeeze bottles with different tips? Maybe I will try again but I really wanted to try and get some of my Halloween cookies to look nice... Do you do the same 10 second rule for flooding? Thanks!!!

Thank you for your kind words about my cookies! I wanted to do cookies like Kneadacookie, and I knew she used Toba's. I practiced until I got the icing to the consistency I needed, and now mix to feel instead of a 10 second rule.

When I am done adding all the colors of icing to the cookies, I combine the leftover icings together and add more powdered sugar. I keep adding powdered sugar until the icing is the consistency of peanut butter. Then I add black. I use a #1s tip to do all my outlining, and I just use decorating bags.

luv2bake6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv2bake6 Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 9:24pm
post #13 of 13

I agree, i think your cookies are incredible and you are truly an inspiration!

I havent had much luck with glace either. No matter how much conf sugar i add, it still seems too runny. (i stopped after adding quite a bit, thinking i was going to change the recipe too much to work properly)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%