Help

Decorating By haileysmommy Updated 21 Oct 2009 , 1:21pm by ddaigle

haileysmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
haileysmommy Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 1:37pm
post #1 of 12

hello everyone. my daughters 3rd b-day party in november. and she wants her party to match the new dora movie " dora saves the crystal kingdom" so i will have to castel cake to match the movie , the dora doll to match. but here is my problem i have no idea how to make the crystals!!! does anybody have any good ideas? i never worked with sugar before. but i have some time to play with it if i have to. please any ideas. i can;t let her down.
thanks
tiffany icon_eek.gif
LL

11 replies
Caths_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Caths_Cakes Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 1:43pm
post #2 of 12

Perhaps you could make them just from gumpaste, all different colours and shapes, and then dust them heavily with luster/pearl/shine dust to make them sparkley icon_smile.gif

cakeandpartygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeandpartygirl Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 1:47pm
post #3 of 12

I have heard that using isomalt is because sugar will start to turn amber before the correct temp. is reached. They also have jewels at fancyflours.com

haileysmommy Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 2:00pm
post #4 of 12

i have no idea how to work with isomalt. would i use some type of mold to make these if so any idea where i can get one

i might try one with gumpaste when she takes a nap today to see how it comes out.

thanks to both of you

Caths_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Caths_Cakes Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 2:14pm
post #5 of 12

Not a problem, i love trying new things (within a certain range lol) Sooo much fun when you get good results from them! You can buy little stones and gems from certain online shops i know off, but im not sure if you could get them where you live, and i imagine there quite expensive

CakeMommyTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMommyTX Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 2:20pm
post #6 of 12

At Hobby Lobby they sell lollipop kits, comes with the sugar (might be isomalt) and instructions, you can even buy jewel molds there .
I did it that way for the jewels in my treasure chest cake.
It was super easy, boil and pour basically.
I even added some flavor so they would taste yummy.
As long as you have a candy thermometer, heavy pan and pot holder you can do it.

haileysmommy Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 2:29pm
post #7 of 12

this sounds quick and easy. thanks now to find a hobby lobby around here

haileysmommy Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 12:42pm
post #8 of 12

any other ideas. i don't have a hobby lobby close to me. i tried fondant/gumpaste but i did not like how it came out .
thanks

ttehan4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ttehan4 Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 12:55pm
post #9 of 12

I think for a 3 year olds party I wouldnt use sugar gems. Im always afraid someone will choke on them. How about those sugar covered gum drops? Cut them to shape - it takes of the sugar and they are kind of glassy looking after. The kids love them and you can get the color of gems - ruby red, emerald green, the white ones for diamonds. You can also luster dust them or shine them up with crisco.

haileysmommy Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 1:00pm
post #10 of 12

see what i want is something big.they would not be something they can eat. they ones i found on line are way to much money. so that's why i wanted to make them. but i might have to try your idea

thanks

ttehan4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ttehan4 Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 1:05pm
post #11 of 12

I did see a mold for large gems at crafts 2000. It was not one that could be used for poured sugar. It was actually in the isle where the glue sticks were. I thought that was weird. Maybe people make gems with melted glue. I dont know, but they were only a couple dollars.

ddaigle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ddaigle Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 1:21pm
post #12 of 12

How far are you from Slidell? There is a HL there.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%