Do I Make Cakes Professionally?

Decorating By Cakeatier Updated 19 Oct 2009 , 10:04pm by aundrea

Cakeatier Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakeatier Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 9:41pm
post #1 of 5

Every time I bake something for my children's school, I am asked do I do this professionally? Does that mean that people are willing to pay for my cakes or are they just amazed? What should I say? I would like to say yes but I'm afraid of being busy all the time (I have two children who are 8 & 10). Also I don't want a shop where I have to pay rent because I don't have clients. I thought of a kind of baking co-op where others in my position can share the space. Please give me your opinions.

4 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 9:46pm
post #2 of 5

When people ask that, they mean, "Do you sell cakes? Can I order from you?"

If you do sell cakes, the answer is, "Yes, let me give you a card."

If you don't, then the answer is, "No, I bake as a hobby."

I'm like you, I enjoy my free time with my kids and don't want to fill it all up with cake orders. I don't mind baking for a friend when I have time. TX doesn't license home bakers, so I would have to rent kitchen time or open a shop, which would mean I had to bake a lot to afford it.

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 9:46pm
post #3 of 5

Probably a little of both. Most cake muggles have no idea what goes into making a cake, which causes a lot of them to have sticker shock. Your idea of a co-op baking space is a great idea, though.

Cakeatier Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakeatier Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 9:56pm
post #4 of 5

Thank you I just thought of it yesterday so it is still in basic planning.

aundrea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aundrea Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 10:04pm
post #5 of 5

i get asked that - and i answer 'its my hobby'. then i hear can i order a cake from you. and again i say 'its my hobby'. i explain to them why i cant sell cakes, and i hear ' noone will know' yea right-please the first cake i would ever try to sell i could see the BOH coming down with an axe.
no thank-you. then i tell them, well if i WAS going to sell you this cake (or a cake) this is the approx price............!!!!! what !!!!!! yea that shuts them up real fast. people around here cant even fathome paying more than $35.00 or the max $50.00 for a cake!! so i would never make what would cover my costs and time, even if i was licesned. and i know alot has to do with the talent, but even basic cakes should be that price.
nope.....not me, im just happy having my hobby. a very expensive hobby- but i can pick and choose when i want to do a cake for someone.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%