Newbie -What Do I Need?

Decorating By Pickulz Updated 19 Oct 2009 , 7:10pm by nonnyscakes

Pickulz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pickulz Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 6:44pm
post #1 of 2

Im new to cake decorating...have done some basic buttercream cakes...with piped roses etc...and did the Wilton level 1 course as well...

I just worked with fondant this past weekend when i made some simple buildings for my spiderman cake..but now i want to try my hand at other kinds of designs...what are some of the cake decorating supplies that you LOVE? I know it will be different for everyone, but just so i have a general idea of what things i should buy...

I was thinking I definately need gumpaste, pearl dust (what colour though), the americolour red (learnt that the hard way after using a whole bottle of wilton)...but wanted to know some tools i may need. IF I wanted to make say a fondant bow..woudl I need anything special?
I have recently moved from the US and dont have a good cake decorating store where i live...so im having soem things shipped to me from there...so i was wondering what all i shud buy so i only have to pay for shipping once!!
If you have any suggestions please let me know!

1 reply
nonnyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nonnyscakes Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 7:10pm
post #2 of 2

Just a few that come to mind.....
A rolling pin, a pastry/fondant mat, cornstarch, clear vanilla/alchohol, a variety of paintbrush sizes, pizza/wheel cutter, sharp knife, ruler, drying rack (I use a dowel suspended between two chairs), extruder, pasta/clay roller

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%