Good Quality Ball Tool

Decorating By babeebk Updated 20 Oct 2009 , 2:53am by BlakesCakes

babeebk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
babeebk Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 3:05pm
post #1 of 10

I gave up on my Wilton ball tool (the one that comes with the Class 3 kit) several months ago because of the seam that would often snag my thin petals. I tried to sculpy ones (love the small one) but I need something larger with a thicker, more sturdy handle. I often see the pros using a large metal ball tool, with a wooden handle.

I'd like to get one but I need some recommendations. What brand/style of ball tool do you use? Is it any good? What is the diameter of each ball end? Where can it be purchased? Thanks in advance folks! icon_smile.gif

9 replies
nannie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nannie Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 3:17pm
post #2 of 10

I feel your pain. icon_cry.gif

I almost gave up sugar flowers because of that tool.

I bought this one:

http://www.globalsugarart.com/product.php?id=21897&name=Ball%20Tools%20(3%20pieces)%20by%20Marcela%20Sanchez

and love, love it. Best investment I've made.

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 3:45pm
post #3 of 10

I have a tendancy towards carpal tunnel, and I was thrilled to find these at ICES! They are very lightweight - and work like a charm. She has them made - I don't know by who, but they are made of acrylic and weigh nothing.

http://www.sugarpaste.com/catalog/orderMisc.htm

nannie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nannie Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 4:02pm
post #4 of 10

wow, Cindy, she does beautiful flowers so lifelike

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 5:11pm
post #5 of 10

She is also the one who came up with the crystal colors - very nice lady! (we want her to come to our Ohio DOS to teach!) icon_wink.gif

forthwife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
forthwife Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 8:09pm
post #6 of 10

There is an AWESOME ball tool three pack made by Sculpy clay. It's in their Donna Dewberry collection. It retails about $9 for all three. Sold at both Michael's and JoAnn's.

diane706 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane706 Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 10:12pm
post #7 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loucinda

She is also the one who came up with the crystal colors - very nice lady! (we want her to come to our Ohio DOS to teach!) icon_wink.gif

Okay, now I gotta know about these crystal colors. I've seen it mentioned a couple of times on CC. I checked out the website that you posted but it really doesn't describe the product. BTW, those acrylic ball tools are very cool.

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 10:17pm
post #8 of 10

Oh yes, the crystal colors are wonderful. There is also another FDA appove dusts from Sugar Art.

crazydoglady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crazydoglady Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 11:42pm
post #9 of 10

i can't tell by looking at the website what the crystal colors are. the colors are beautiful. could someone post what qualities the colors have. tia

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 2:53am
post #10 of 10

I have an all metal ball tool with a thicker barrel than the one Marcella Sanchez sells. I honestly can't remember where I bought it, but it's my favorite.

I also have a PME ball tool that I really like--smooth, lightweight, easy to clean, bright yellow handle that is easy to spot in a mix of tools & brushes, and cheap. Eliminate the spaces below.

country kitchensa . com/catalog/product.aspx?T=1&productId=628157

HTH
Rae

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%