Anyone Here Work At Michaels?

Lounge By adree313 Updated 27 Oct 2009 , 1:03am by adree313

adree313 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adree313 Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 4:23am
post #1 of 17

i just got a job at michaels and i'm really nervous.

can anyone give me any tips/advice/what i should expect?

is the first day/first few days training?

ahhhh i'm scared! but really excited! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

oh, p.s. do we get to combine our employee discount with coupons? that'd be great! otherwise, i'd just use the coupons. the employee discount isn't much thumbsdown.gif

16 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 6:07am
post #2 of 17

Congrats! I bet you'll like it better than you liked Lane Bryant...Michaels is more of a cashier job than a saleswoman job icon_biggrin.gif

I've never worked there before so I can't tell you exactly...but any store that you work at will train you on the register, check procedures, cash drops etc...before you're expected to know it all. And they won't leave you by yourself on the register until they know you've got it all figured out icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 7:12pm
post #3 of 17

I'm a WMI at Micheals so I can't really tell ya what to expect from the cashier point of view. Good luck with it!

I will say, don't discount the discount. While 25% doesn't sound like a ton, it does add up. I love seeing the total before the coupon and the discount and seeing it get smaller. I've said for a while now if I ever quit teaching there I'd have to quit shopping there.

The discount only works for non sale items. If you use a coupon it will take it off the largest item and then your discount will be appled to the rest of your regular priced purchases. I also use a coupon on items over $10 if I have one, and always on stuff over $20. If it is under $10 and I don't have a coupon then that is still money off. icon_smile.gif

adree313 Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 9:53pm
post #4 of 17

so you CAN use your discount AND a coupon? awesome! thanks for the info!

and i guess asking if there was training was stupid, i meant more like what does it entail? videos? walkthrough? that type of thing. also, when i was interviewing, the manager said something about having to ice a cake during training, but i didn't catch what training she was talking about (i was really nervous!). so, i didn't know if they gave you a crash course in the various departments, or what.

thanks for all the info and good wishes! icon_biggrin.gif

TexasSugar Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 1:15am
post #5 of 17

You can use both but not on the same item. You can't use your discount on an item that you used a 40% off on. But you can use it in the same purchase.

What did they hire you to do?

adree313 Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 1:32am
post #6 of 17

i'm just a seasonal associate right now, but hopefully everything goes well enough that they'll hire me as a regular after the season's over.

TexasSugar Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 6:23pm
post #7 of 17

I've never heard about anyone having to ice a cake, and I've been the WMI for over 5 years at Michaels. Heck I didn't even have to ice a cake to get the job. So maybe she was teasing you, if you mentioned you did cakes??

They will train you and don't be afraid to ask questions! There are some safety vidoes that will probably have you watch at some point as well. Just jump in there and you will get the hang of it.

adree313 Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 12:32am
post #8 of 17

she was pretty detailed about what she did, so i don't know. maybe it's a manager thing... to learn about the different departments? i'm not sure.

anyhow, thanks for all the info! i'm hoping i'll have my first day soon, just to get it out of the way!

DeniseRoy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeniseRoy Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 2:06pm
post #9 of 17

I am a WMI for michaels and i also am an FES ( front end supervisor). I have been there for 4 years. Its a lot of fun there are videos to watch and then there is training with the FEs or one of the cashiers. The only thing you have to watch for is spending more than you make.

adree313 Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 2:39pm
post #10 of 17

thanks! i know, a few people have voiced their concerns about me working there because they know how much i love spending money there!

idgalpal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
idgalpal Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 11:26pm
post #11 of 17

Adree- Which Michael's? The one in Boise on Franklin? That's the one I shop in - WAY to often-lol!

adree313 Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 11:47pm
post #12 of 17

no lol. the one in nampa right off of the freeway. i like the one in boise though, it seems bigger (thus more spending can be done!), but it's too far away icon_sad.gif

-Tubbs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-Tubbs Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 7:12pm
post #13 of 17

Seriously, if I ever got a job in retail, I swear it would have to be in a fishing tackle shop, or car parts or something!! My sister had a part-time job at a fabric store for a while but gave it up when she realised how much it was costing her to go to work! icon_lol.gif

Just kidding Adree, it'll be a good fit for you and I'm sure it will be a fun and busy place to work coming up to christmas. Good luck!

idgalpal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
idgalpal Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 9:48pm
post #14 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by adree313

no lol. the one in nampa right off of the freeway. i like the one in boise though, it seems bigger (thus more spending can be done!), but it's too far away icon_sad.gif

Well, one of these weekends, I'm going to come shop in your Michaels! icon_cool.gificon_biggrin.gif

adree313 Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 10:14pm
post #15 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by idgalpal

Quote:
Originally Posted by adree313

Well, one of these weekends, I'm going to come shop in your Michaels! icon_cool.gificon_biggrin.gif

awesome!

thanks, tubbs!

TexasSugar Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 3:33pm
post #16 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by TubbsCookies

Seriously, if I ever got a job in retail, I swear it would have to be in a fishing tackle shop, or car parts or something!! My sister had a part-time job at a fabric store for a while but gave it up when she realised how much it was costing her to go to work! icon_lol.gif

I feel that way sometimes. But I have learned to curb my shopping mostly. I can say that there are times I love the discount, like this week is employee apprecation week, and we get 50% off anything that isn't currently on sale. I'm using it to stock up on things that I use alot of, such as mp, flavorings and bags. Plus I've picked up a few things I have been looking at that I just haven't bought yet.

Most of the decorations in my house came from Micheals, either on sale or on clearance (discount works on clearance items as well). So there are pros and cons to working there. icon_wink.gif

adree313 Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 1:03am
post #17 of 17

yesterday was my first day and it went great! everyone is so stinking nice it's ALMOST scary icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%